Rear wheel bearing noise ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was getting a knocking sound when pedalling with some force, I thought it was the BB, it wasn't.

My wheels are Fulcrum racing 5's with campag veloce 10 speed casette, so I know its noisy when free wheeling, however it clicks and knocks when I put some force on the pedals.

Took the casette off, and the freehub off the wheel, the bearings are sealed but seemed to spin OK. I put some grease on the part of wheel where the freehub sits and reassembled. No more noise, but only for a while, now the noise is back!

Any ideas?

The wheels are about 18 months old and have done about 5000 miles.

Could it be time to get new bearings?

Zoiders

Sounds about the right miles for cartridge bearings getting worn, sometimes they can fracture at the race as well.

Not to worry, they are exceedingly cheap, pull the old ones and take them to a bearing supplier with a trade counter.

£8 IIRC was what I paid for mine.

gbb

Legendary Member
One way to eliminate most of the other transmission is to lift the rear wheel, turn the cranks and get the wheel spinning (not too fast) and put your ear to the saddle. If you hear a rumble, its almost certainly the bearings.

As Zoiders says, try to use a local bearing company, you'll get much better quality bearings. They are really quite easy to replace.

They are 6001-2RS bearings BTW.

Zoiders

FAG, GMN, SKF.

Any of the three manufacturers will be fine.

FAG were well known one upon a time for manufacturing one of the first cheap disposable bottom brackets, they still manufacture Shimano pattern ones today.

There is a way you could pull them yourself and press them back in, it's a bit of bodge though so I would find a Campag dealer who has the tool that presses the bearings in.

gbb

Legendary Member
FAG is fine, you can just drift the old ones out, if you want to refit yourself there's a couple of ways of doing it.
Find a socket the same OD as your bearings, lay the wheel flat and driver the bearing into the hub...making absolutely sure it doesnt go in skewed. If it starts to do so, just drift it back out and start again. Dont drift out by impacting the inner race on the new ones, you'll probably damage them.

Or, if you have a piece of say 8mm studding and a mix of washers and/or sockets and nuts, you can pull them in.
Again, dont drive it in by the inner race, ideally you want to use the outer race to drive it in.

On the original bearings, you'll see one seal only is used. Just remove the second seal on the new bearings by sliding a small screwdriver under the seal from the inner of the bearing and flip it out.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
FAG is fine, you can just drift the old ones out, if you want to refit yourself there's a couple of ways of doing it.
Find a socket the same OD as your bearings, lay the wheel flat and driver the bearing into the hub...making absolutely sure it doesnt go in skewed. If it starts to do so, just drift it back out and start again. Dont drift out by impacting the inner race on the new ones, you'll probably damage them.

Or, if you have a piece of say 8mm studding and a mix of washers and/or sockets and nuts, you can pull them in.
Again, dont drive it in by the inner race, ideally you want to use the outer race to drive it in.

On the original bearings, you'll see one seal only is used. Just remove the second seal on the new bearings by sliding a small screwdriver under the seal from the inner of the bearing and flip it out.

I've got the old bearings out, a bit of a faff and a fair degree of force, different sockets etc but got there in the end. I actually bought SKF bearings as they were in stock, and they do have a seal on both sides, is it necessary to remove the seal on the inner face?

Also should I replace the bearing in the freehub? It looks to be the same but I can't see how to remove it?

gbb

Legendary Member
I've got the old bearings out, a bit of a faff and a fair degree of force, different sockets etc but got there in the end. I actually bought SKF bearings as they were in stock, and they do have a seal on both sides, is it necessary to remove the seal on the inner face?

Also should I replace the bearing in the freehub? It looks to be the same but I can't see how to remove it?
Inner race seal ?...on the grounds there's no contamination to get into the inner side of the bearing, plus the fact you nominally decrease the amount of friction by removing one of the seals, i'd remove it without question. They should flick out quite easy with a screwdriver.
I didn't do my freehub, hadn't even considered it TBH.
But while you're there...knowing how noisy the freehub is, i put some oil into the ratchet machined face of the hub..quietens it down enormously. Depends whether you like the ratchety sound ?

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Inner race seal ?...on the grounds there's no contamination to get into the inner side of the bearing, plus the fact you nominally decrease the amount of friction by removing one of the seals, i'd remove it without question. They should flick out quite easy with a screwdriver.
I didn't do my freehub, hadn't even considered it TBH.
But while you're there...knowing how noisy the freehub is, i put some oil into the ratchet machined face of the hub..quietens it down enormously. Depends whether you like the ratchety sound ?

Thanks for the answers, I did use a little moly grease on the hub face before, and it did quieten it down a bit. While i'm sorting this out I fitted my old ambrosio rear wheel which has a completely silent freehub, it was a joy to ride. I forgot how noisy and unpleasant the fulcrum one is!

Top Bottom