Rear wheel for smart trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonypinkney

I wonder if I could ask for some help please?

I'm quite new to cycling having taken it up again at the start of 2020. I own this bike. I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap smart trainer (wheel on, I think is the correct terminology). I've read some reviews that suggest it may be better to have a dedicated wheel and tyre for the trainer and keep a regular wheel/tyre combo for out on the road. I think I would like to do this.

Would anyone be able to provide any recommendations as to what rear wheel I might consider? (I think I have an idea of tyres and sizing), it is the rear wheel which confuses me a little. I think I need an 11 speed rear wheel?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I would not recommend a dedicated trainer wheel, or even tyre. Why would you need to?

The wheel on your bike is perfectly suited to use on a turbo trainer, and the tyre would be okay but you might want to consider changing it for a slick tyre to reduce the noise if that is an issue :smile:

It's a lot of money to spend on a wheel, cassette, turbo tyre and tube just to save a bit of wear on a tyre.

If you had knobbly tyres then it makes a bit more sense but it would still be easier to swap to a smooth tyre.

And yes QR skewers are interchangeable so you can use the one provided with the turbo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used a spare wheel because I had one, but the turbo bike has had a refurb, so I'm going to use the road wheel. So long as the roller isn't too tight, there is no reason not to. Having looked at a tyre thats been on the turbo the last 5 years, there is no wear on it, and its a normal tyre.

You may want to use the QR that comes with the turbo as it will hold the axel more secure.

si_c

Guru
Pretty much any 700c disc brake wheel with a QR should work. You don't need a disc rotor (obviously) although a second cassette would be worth getting.
This one on ebay should work ok - you might be able to find a cheaper/better one, but you can get this with a cassette, which is nice.

Gunk

Guru
If the bike spends most of its time on the turbo then I would recommend a spare wheel with a slick tyre. Doesn’t have to be a specific indoor turbo tyre. Any tread pattern will cause a rumbling sensation and the roller will wear out the centre of the tyre.

I use the cheapest slick tyre I can fine, last one I bought was a blue nylon 23c slick off eBay for less than a tenner, the brand new spare wheel and cassette was less than £100, but mine is Campagnolo. A used spare wheel with a Shimano cassette and tyre can be found for less than £50.

OP
OP
tonypinkney

tonypinkney

You don’t need a turbo wheel but maybe a cheap tyre to put on in case the turbo squares off the one you have on at the minute.
I wonder if I could ask for some help please?

I'm quite new to cycling having taken it up again at the start of 2020. I own this bike. I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap smart trainer (wheel on, I think is the correct terminology). I've read some reviews that suggest it may be better to have a dedicated wheel and tyre for the trainer and keep a regular wheel/tyre combo for out on the road. I think I would like to do this.

Would anyone be able to provide any recommendations as to what rear wheel I might consider? (I think I have an idea of tyres and sizing), it is the rear wheel which confuses me a little. I think I need an 11 speed rear wheel?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Than
I would not recommend a dedicated trainer wheel, or even tyre. Why would you need to?

The wheel on your bike is perfectly suited to use on a turbo trainer, and the tyre would be okay but you might want to consider changing it for a slick tyre to reduce the noise if that is an issue :smile:
Thanks - main issue is getting the tyre of the wheel! Had two punctures since buying the bike and they were tough to remove! hence why I thought it might be simpler to keep a separate wheel for the trainer. I ride indoors and outdoors through the week. But, you might be right, worth considering leaving as is.

OP
OP
tonypinkney

tonypinkney

It's a lot of money to spend on a wheel, cassette, turbo tyre and tube just to save a bit of wear on a tyre.

If you had knobbly tyres then it makes a bit more sense but it would still be easier to swap to a smooth tyre.

And yes QR skewers are interchangeable so you can use the one provided with the turbo.
Thank you. I think I have a little budget to afford what I need, and it is my birthday soon!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cheapest 700c wheel you can find and a tacx 23mm tyre will do it. Wheel can be disc or rim, it doesn’t matter since you never brake on a turbo. The cassette needs to be same speed as whatever you have on current wheel. But doesn’t need to be an exact match in terms of cogs. Again get cheapest you can find.

Top Bottom