Rear wheel hub - how easy to replace is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The rear wheel on the Carrera is making a grinding noise, particularly at one point on the revolution. It's not catching on anything so appears to be the cassette or hub.

How easy is it to repair/replace the hub? it's an old Alex rim with 8-speed cassette.

jim55

Guru
are u any good at wheel building /lacing spokes and trueing ??if not (and its a bit of a skill )id buy a hub ,,and give all the bits to somebody thats done it before ,,, or the easy option ,,take the bearings out / regrease it and rebuild the hub ,,thats pretty easy (and thats me saying that ) ,,poss fit ,,(no defo )refit with new bearings and regrease ,,it should b fine

amaferanga

Veteran
Probably more cost effective to just replace the wheel (assuming a drop of grease doesn't fix it). Unless you can find a hub with exactly the same dimensions then you'll need new spokes and I'd imagine the rim is nothing special anyway.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It'll need new bearings and grease, not much else.

Do you have any cone spanners, and how confident are you that you can take on a new task? No to either of those questions, and as you are local I'm willing to help/show you how it's done.

Nothing wrong with Alex Rims.

Can you see a maker's name on the hub itself.... I suspect it'll be a Shimano?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

It'll need new bearings and grease, not much else.

Do you have any cone spanners, and how confident are you that you can take on a new task? No to either of those questions, and as you are local I'm willing to help/show you how it's done.

Nothing wrong with Alex Rims.

Can you see a maker's name on the hub itself.... I suspect it'll be a Shimano?

OK - thanks for the offer. I don't have the kit and am not overly confident. Over the past year I've learnt a number of jobs, but would appreciate some assistance with this one.

The rim is an Alex DA22 and the hub is J-Tec.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Think I've fixed it ... looking closer at the cassette there was a piece of wire stuck in it :blush: - that was causing the catching & grinding.

Thanks to Cubist for his offer of help.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The relief at not needing a new wheel, is tempered by disappointment at not having to embark on a new, interesting (and most importantly, greasy) cycle maintenance task, perhaps ? !

ushills

Veteran
The relief at not needing a new wheel, is tempered by disappointment at not having to embark on a new, interesting (and most importantly, greasy) cycle maintenance task, perhaps ? !

Personally I'd get some hubs, a rim and spokes and build a new set using a good book to guide you. Consider it practice, it's a skill that will be useful for life.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

It's something I could do with learning. However, given my current workload it'll probably be a summer learning task.

The bike it's on is my winter hack Carrera Virtuoso. The wheels are already well below the wear indicator so it's also a job that should be done.

Top Bottom