Rear Wheel Movement side to side

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

UPDATE

Wheels have been sent back to Wiggle as they want them back for repair/replacement.

I have spoken to Hambini directly about this and he advises the EZO bearings are 'Shite' and they are used as these companies get a great discount on them. Pro-Lite insist my regular gentle washing habits are the cause and water may be removing the oil in the spoke nipples. Pro-Lite also advises they have personally dealt with Hambini on previous occasions and that whilst their bearings are not top tier, they are middle of the road lol.

I have given Hambini the spec of the bearings for these wheels. He recommends 2RS seals. So I will order a couple of sets from him and get my local guy to fit them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
water may be removing the oil in the spoke nipples.
What does Prolite suggest is the function of oil in spoke nipples?
I wonder what adverse effect would reduction in oil (if there at all) have on the function of the (assume properly tensioned) spokes?
Oil? Maybe a dab of grease to make sure they tighten up smoothly and unscrew down the road.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some wheels are really flexy. I can't use the 28T sprocket on the Boardman because, under climbing stresses, it rubs on the spokes. It's well clear of them when stationary. Not much I can do about it; it's a function of flange spacing and spoke count. Spoke tension barely affects stiffness.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

What does Prolite suggest is the function of oil in spoke nipples?
I wonder what adverse effect would reduction in oil (if there at all) have on the function of the (assume properly tensioned) spokes?
Oil? Maybe a dab of grease to make sure they tighten up smoothly and unscrew down the road.

ProLite…...
> suggests that if water gets into the spoke nipples it starts to corrode them inside (despite them being greased/oiled).
> state that a light rain shower or a gentle wash wont affect things much, 99% of the time but, water could creep through and cause contamination.
> state Hambini rates EZO bearings as 'above average'
> State '..Sheldon Brown used to say that bearing quality is more a situation of "where good enough is good enough".....'
> recommend using -2RS seals for road wheels

Yet I haven't blamed any part as bearings and spoke tensions all seem fine according to LBS. Just odd that a wheel goes from perfect to WTF in 1 week.

si_c

Guru
Some wheels are really flexy. I can't use the 28T sprocket on the Boardman because, under climbing stresses, it rubs on the spokes. It's well clear of them when stationary. Not much I can do about it; it's a function of flange spacing and spoke count. Spoke tension barely affects stiffness.
I'd be interested to know what spoke tension you have in that back wheel. It should under no circumstances be flexing laterally under any type of load and spoke tension will impact this.

Flange spacing impacts the dish of the wheel and consequently impacts the length of the spoke but as far as I understand it this should be accounted for in the wheel build itself.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd be interested to know what spoke tension you have in that back wheel. It should under no circumstances be flexing laterally under any type of load and spoke tension will impact this.

Flange spacing impacts the dish of the wheel and consequently impacts the length of the spoke but as far as I understand it this should be accounted for in the wheel build itself.
It's a factory DT wheel, 28h. Fairly conventional apart from the nice DT/Hügi hub. The only wheels I own out of...er...about 40 that I didn't build myself.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Let that be a lesson to you :whistle::laugh:
I know, I know. It was cheaper than buying two DT RR rims, Shimano hubs and spokes, which is what I should have done 😭

Top Bottom