Rear wheel not staying centred

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colinthelock

I have an old viking. the right hand rear for has a fitting set in it to allow the deraillier to be attached. This means the left end of the spindle is not back against the end of the slot. Every so often this moves causing the tyre to rub on the frame. Can you get a fitting for the left hand side so that the spindle sits hard against something.

Sharky

Guru
What sort of rear axle do you have? Is it a quick release or nutted axle?

I just have a suspicion that a lack of a "stop" is not the cause of it slipping. I have single speed and fixed bikes, with open ended horizontal fork ends, yet never suffer from slippage, unless for some reason I didn't tighten the nuts properly.

Hope you find the cause.

You can buy a tugnut for the left hand side that will hold the left hand side in place if you have a quick release system. It's hard to get enough tension using a QR to hold a wheel in place in horizontal dropouts. Now if you have a nutted axle then you just need to tighten that nut some more to hold it in place.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just make it tighter so it doesn't shift. Nuts > tighter. QR - so tight that it dents your palm when you push the lever so it tilts slightly towards the seat stay. Check you have the wheel centred once you've done this tightening and if not, redo.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Would a Shimano-style anti-rotation washer do the trick? I have a brompton with an after-market wide-hub rear triangle and it accommodates the use of derailleurs, but even if you use one, on the other side you need to put an anti-rotation drilled-out circular so that the tab on it stops the axle moving forwards in the slot.

The left hand side of the wheel axle is usually forward of the end of the drop out. It seems as though you are not tightening it enough as mentioned above.

Is there a large gap between the axle nuts and the drop outs when the wheel is placed against them? It may be that you need a washer or two.

If it is a quick release it may be that the skewer is not the right size and that you have run out of thread which is not allowing you to tighten it up further.

I have one which slips a bit as it is from another bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
Sorry to be pessimistic, but I had the same issue and despite all of the above the damn thing would eventually move. Replacing the wheel with one with a threaded axle did the trick!

Sharky

Guru
Whatever the problem is, it must be serious. The OP hasn't returned since posting the question. Hope he is alright.

byegad

Legendary Member
I meant with an axle and nice nuts and washers where you can get the thing properly tight. As against a QR axle.

Top Bottom