Rear Wheel out of true again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
GrahamG said:
You obviously aren't getting very good builds! A well built wheel will need no tweeking whatsoever - sounds like the OP's shop is doing a crap job to me.

Agree Im not going back !!.

I only use this bike for commuting and its become a comstant pain the back side but atleast I can have a go myself now truing it, but still do I really want to be doing this every 8 weeks or sooner !!.

Thanks for all your help everyone apreciated.

I think I might get a pair of cheapish machine made rims depending on how long it lasts this time !

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
gwhite said:
I have the experience to back up the above, "broad" or not.
The Mavic MA40 I built with Campag Chorus hubs, never needed re-tensioning in over 15 years. Touring wheels used for loaded touring, built by my friend, never needed touching, again over this period. If your wheels are made by someone who knows their business (Paul Hewitt or Pete Mathews comes to mind) then they should not need constant attention.

Fancy building me some wheels gwhite ??

accountantpete

Brexiteer
GrahamG said:
You obviously aren't getting very good builds! A well built wheel will need no tweaking whatsoever - sounds like the OP's shop is doing a crap job to me.

Notice the past tense - I use factory wheels these days and wouldn't touch the heavy handbuilts with a bargepole.

You could be right about the build - I used a well known wheel builder but having said that he probably gave them to the young apprentice to practice on!

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
accountantpete said:
Notice the past tense - I use factory wheels these days and wouldn't touch the heavy handbuilts with a bargepole.

You could be right about the build - I used a well known wheel builder but having said that he probably gave them to the young apprentice to practice on!

I think im going to join you with your factory wheels there accountantpete, unless I learn how to build them myself im not going to bother again to hit and miss I paid £380 for them what a pile of s**t saying that the front one has not been touched since new.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
bad boy said:
I think im going to join you with your factory wheels there accountantpete, unless I learn how to build them myself im not going to bother again to hit and miss I paid £380 for them what a pile of s**t saying that the front one has not been touched since new.

There's a lot of hassle doing self-builds Badboy! The worst bit I found was getting the tension right.To my mind, unless you are doing this sort of thing everyday you never get really good at it so I leave it to Campag and get on with my riding:smile:

Top Bottom