Reason for having a "winter bike"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very wasteful I'm sure, but I often wondered if you would be as well to pick something up second hand for around £100 or less at the start of each winter and just run it into the ground and get rid of it in the spring, thus saving your better bikes. :laugh:
I half do that in the sense that I replace the chain, casette, brake blocks, jockey wheels, sometimes a chainring, often cables, sometimes a rear mech etc at the end of the winter, all the bits that suffer most from the winter weather and from my lack of TLC.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've never had a winter bike (or thought about any of my bikes in those terms anyway). My carbon TCR has been known to get out plenty in the winter, it just gets a decent clean afterwards if it was wet or dirty out. All my other bikes are pretty utilitarian, mudguards, rack etc. The Tour de Fer is still the only bike I've ridden in 2020 though, with being a year old I'm still enjoying the novelty and to be fair, it's a perfect bike for poorer conditions anyway.

I don't have a "winter bike". for me it's more of a practicality. I have 3, road, hybrid & MTB. in the winter the road bike only comes out of the roads are dry & clean. cold as heck is OK, but this is not the storm bike. I have studded tires for both the hybrid & the MTB, so one might consider them the winter bikes, but they get used year round

12boy

Guru
Rockyroller....ever been to Harris Cyclery? I had a management meeting in Providence and a friend and I stopped jn there on our way to Cape Cod to eat lobsters. Bought a fixed gear wheel which they mailed to Casper Wyoming where I live. Learned about Harris, of course, from Sheldon Brown. Winter riding here in January and February is really improved with studded snows. The extra work they require helps me stay a bit warmer.

RichardB

Slightly retro
The irony is that the winter bike will probably be with you longer as the summer bike might be part of a chain of incremental upgrades over the years. It's nice to have new stuff but there's something to be said for having an "old faithful" bike with a bit of history behind it. Best of both worlds perhaps?

Off-topic, but I totally agree. I had a beautiful, pristine Ducati and then got a job that involved 200 yards of mud and filth at the end of the commute. The bike was in showroom condition on Sunday night, and looked like a boat anchor by 9 am on Monday. To save the Duke, I bought a ratty old Yamaha trailbike. The Duke got sold, its replacement got sold, yadda yadda yadda, but the Yam still kept its place in my heart and on the driveway. It just stepped up and did whatever was needed, and I often chose it in preference to the latest glamorous stablemate when I needed to go somewhere. When I finally got out of biking it was the last bike to be sold. I had a tear in my eye when it went.

I feel a bit the same about my Raleigh Amazon. Worth buttons, but has seen me through a lot of adventures, and I wouldn't hesitate to go out on it in the foulest conditions. It'll cope.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
If I had penny for every time a customer wanted justification for their N+1 when in the end I have just had to whisper that sometimes I can't reallyyyyyyyy help them justify it over and above them treating themselves :laugh:. Do you actually need a winter bike, no, if you want then yes for sure you can use your summer bike. If you ride it in all weathers it will benefit from more TLC interms of cleaning and yes you will have to expect more wear and tear, if you don't fit mudguards expect an ear ache from club mates and if you use lightweight summer tyres expect more punctures if used in inclement weather; but it's not a 'Rolex' for special occasions only, it's to be used. Do I have a winter bike? Yes!

I'm 57, back in the day it was common to ride a fixie through out the winter; I was no different and I still enjoy it to this day. Yes you can use your summer bike in the winter but the same applies vice versa. My winter fixie became my go to bike during the summer for what I called my 'Furlough rides' when I would cycle an hour or so a day to keep healthy, enjoy being outside and if I'm honest to stop my head 'falling off', my bikes are my friends and cycling is my church; I confess it's what saved me last summer!

These days winter bikes are often bought as a new purchase, I've noticed that many buy a gravel bike, fit road tyres and guards and use it to supplement their more expensive summer bike that perhaps they are more precious with; I totally get that. This is where it was a bit different, back then it was far more common that our winter bikes were not an additional purchase and arguably seen as being indulgent, we already had them as they were our older summer race bikes pensioned off and fettled for winter use, perhaps more puncture resistant tyres and mudguards; something I'd recommend on any summer bike used in winter if ridden in all weathers.

Although I ride the bike below as a fixie the frame is over thirty years old and was my summer holiday bike before I replaced it with a new one, transferring much of the equipment to my Van Nicholas Yukon. Note that actual transition would not be as viable these days, most derailleur bikes can not be converted to single speed fixed quite so easily.

The theory back then was that a fixie taught us to pedal efficiently, would keep us warm, simple to maintain if ridden in all weathers on winter chain gang club runs plus we had more control in slippery conditions. For sure back then brakes were no where as good as they are now, indoor trainers were not a 'thing' and the roads were far quieter; I'd start a club run in the snow! It was also not seen as a negative that these were often slower and heavier than our summer bikes, I would on occasion carry a brick in my Carradice saddle bag; weight training, but on a bike! We didn't have Strava back then of course, our winter club runs and training rides would be based more on time out on the bike than the speed on it.

Fast forward to 2020 and yes the reasons I chose it then are arguably less valid now, I'm a bit more of a fair weather cyclist these days and modern brakes are far better; but it's still what I use as my winter bike for commuting and 'Furlough rides', the latter as I'm still back part time only, odd times in the cycle trade! I live in a flat, in a block, my summer bikes live in my bedroom (I'm single :laugh:), when I get back with a dirty fixie that bike lives in a garage so I don't have to walk it through a communal carpeted hallway then trash my flat even more than it already is! As far as I'm concerned a fixie still keeps me warmer, it's still simple with a more durable neglect friendly 1/8" chain fixed wheel set up compared to a 3/32" chain and derailleur with two or more chainrings, plus it offers a very different riding experience that still floats my boat after all these years. That last part shouldn't be undervalued as it is what I was alluding to in my first paragraph, I could get away with out it; but I just wouldn't want to.
Pearson Fixed.jpg

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
If I had penny for every time a customer wanted justification for their N+1 when in the end I have just had to whisper that sometimes I can't reallyyyyyyyy help them justify it over and above them treating themselves :laugh:. Do you actually need a winter bike, no, you can use your summer bike, if you ride it in all weathers it will benefit from more TLC interms of cleaning and yes you will have to expect more wear and tear, if you don't fit mudguards expect an ear ache from club mates and if you use lightweight summer tyres expect more punctures if used in inclement weather; but it's not a Rolex for special occasions only, it's to be used. Do I have a winter bike? Yes!

I'm 57, back in the day it was common to ride a fixie through out the winter; I was no different and I still enjoy it to this day. Yes you can use your summer bike in the winter but the same applies vice versa. My winter fixie became my go to bike during the summer for what I called my 'Furlough rides' when I would cycle an hour or so a day to keep healthy, enjoy being outside and if I'm honest to stop my head 'falling off', my bikes are my friends and cycling is my church; I confess it's what saved me last summer!

These days winter bikes are often bought as a new purchase, I've noticed that many buy a gravel bike, fit road tyres and guards and use it to supplement their more expensive summer bike that perhaps they are more precious with; I totally get that. This is where it was a bit different, back then it was far more common that our winter bikes were not an additional purchase and seen as being indulgent, we already had them as they were our older summer race bikes pensioned off and fettled for winter use, perhaps more puncture resistant tyres and mudguards. Although I ride the bike below as a fixie the frame is over thirty years old and was my summer holiday bike before I replaced it with a new one, transferring much of the equipment to my (Van Nicholas Yukon). Note that actual transition would not be as viable these days, most derailleur bikes can not be converted to single speed fixed quite so easily.

The theory back then was that a fixie taught us to pedal efficiently, would keep us warm, simple to maintain if ridden in all weathers on winter chain gang club runs plus we had more control in slippery conditions. For sure back then brakes were no where as good as they are now, indoor trainers were not a 'thing' and the roads were far quieter; I'd start a club run in the snow!

Fast forward to now although the reasons I chose it then are arguably less valid now, I'm a bit more of a fair weather cyclist these days and modern brakes are far better; but it's still what I use as my winter bike for commuting and 'Furlough rides', the latter as I'm still back part time only, odd times in the cycle trade! I live in a flat, in a block, my summer bikes live in my bedroom (I'm single :laugh:), when I get back with a dirty fixie that bike lives in a garage so I don't have to walk it through a communal carpeted hallway then trash my flat even more than it already is! As far as I'm concerned a fixie still keeps me warmer, it's still simple with a more durable neglect friendly 1/8" chain fixed wheel set up compared to a 3/32" chain and derailleur with two or more chainrings, plus it offers a very different riding experience that still floats my boat after all these years. That last part shouldn't be undervalued as it is what I was alluding to in my first paragraph, I could get away with out it; but I just wouldn't want to.
That Pearson looks to nice to be covered in winter " gloop".

I change my wheels and put mudguards on my summer bike and make sure I clean and lubricate after nearly every ride. Its frame I feel is more robust.

I do have a dedicated winter bike but it's in a friends garage as my flat is that small. I built it myself though and I am a bit protective of it anyway.

I also have a Triban 500, a great bike for the money, although it is not far off, it's not quite fast enough for club runs after you add a hill or two. So it's a winter bike but not a club winter bike if that makes sense.

Rockyroller....ever been to Harris Cyclery? I had a management meeting in Providence and a friend and I stopped jn there on our way to Cape Cod to eat lobsters. Bought a fixed gear wheel which they mailed to Casper Wyoming where I live. Learned about Harris, of course, from Sheldon Brown. Winter riding here in January and February is really improved with studded snows. The extra work they require helps me stay a bit warmer.
yes! several times! in fact my last employer was located in West Newton, MA a 3 minute walk away!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That Pearson looks to nice to be covered in winter " gloop".

My thoughts exactly, that Pearson would definitely be in my "best" bikes category if it was mine. I only consider a bike as a hack if it was both cheap to buy when new, and is also battered and scruffy in appearance. That one is not a cheap frame and it's obviously well looked after.

i've never had a winter bike but i'm due a new bike next year and will likely keep the one i have for the bad winter days
the state my bike was in after saturdays ride, it would break my heart to get a new bike clabbered like that 😩

on a side note, when does the though of getting back and having to stand in the cold to wash your bike start to depress you on your ride (a mile or two from home for me :laugh:🚲)

I really like mudguards ! - but not those strap on rattlely things. My first winter bike was a used giant defy with MGs - great for the purpose. I have since got a Ribble cgr as my winter bike.

It's by no means essential - pre covid you get a decent used bike for around £250. For many years I got by just using 1 bike - then I strapped mgs to it - which was a revelation! But hated the rattling .

From time to time - it's also handy to have a spare - you come downstairs all dressed and find out you have flat - or it's in the repair shop for a few days !

Top Bottom