Reason for my headache and light headedness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Lately ive been getting really light headed and getting headaches for the day if I push myself on the commute.

I was thinking it may be low blood sugar or just that im knackered after a few weeks of interrupted sleep! Just thought id measure my resting heart rate while sat on the sofa and it seems to be fairly low at 53 bpm. I normally ride at 140-150 bpm and have maxed at 165 ish.

Could my low resting heart rate be the cause of my light headed ness? Any other possibilitys or should I pop and see the quack, I will need to register as not done it yet :eek:

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Enough electrolyte replacement after riding ?

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Good point. I normally have squash with a bit of salt in it but thats about it. My rides aren't generally very long, about 30 minutes twice a day so never thought about it however I have been dripping when I get home!!!

Sent from the Holodeck on my Tricorder

I would say low electrolytes ... i've had headaches after a ride.

One thing to note ... when you sweat like a pig and loose kg's of fluids during a ride (i do)
the old trick of adding a pinch of salt only replaces the "sodium chloride" that you have lost,
it doesn't replace potassium chloride or other electrolytes.

You'd be better off adding a pinch of "lo salt" (from tescos) as its 66% Potassium chloride 66%, and
34% sodium chloride.

As for light head ... maybe just low blood pressure?

I know if i'm pushing hard and then suddenly stop and look skywards i start "greying out".
(I did 30 miles in under 2 hours this morning on a mountain bike and when i got home looked up
at an aircraft and .... whoaaa .... wobbly bike moment!)

byegad

Legendary Member
Medical advice first then if the Dr blames 'a virus' or says all is basically OK try eating a little more before you set off. I had terrible migraines in my youth and one of the sure triggers was missing a meal by more than an hour or so. In other words low blood sugar.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
As other say, check with your doc. If you have ever had a bad head with a cold from coughing too much, it could be like that. The expanded blood vessels causing pressure, pain and a bit of light headedness. It feels similar. I can produce it by going too hard too often.
The easy test is to have a week off, try it again and see if it's fixed. Rest allows everything to reshape and sort itself out.

I would say low electrolytes ... i've had headaches after a ride.

One thing to note ... when you sweat like a pig and loose kg's of fluids during a ride (i do)
the old trick of adding a pinch of salt only replaces the "sodium chloride" that you have lost,
it doesn't replace potassium chloride or other electrolytes.

You'd be better off adding a pinch of "lo salt" (from tescos) as its 66% Potassium chloride 66%, and
34% sodium chloride.

As for light head ... maybe just low blood pressure?

I know if i'm pushing hard and then suddenly stop and look skywards i start "greying out".
(I did 30 miles in under 2 hours this morning on a mountain bike and when i got home looked up
at an aircraft and .... whoaaa .... wobbly bike moment!)

Im confused. Could you explain to me what things like electrolytes and chlorides are? and what do they do?

Im confused. Could you explain to me what things like electrolytes and chlorides are? and what do they do?

Follow the previous posters link.

As for "what do they do" ... they leave a nice coating on your cycle helmets chin strap, also they can build up inside the helmet,
only to be washed over your face during rain. (Like soap in your eyes i tell ya :cry:).

Top Bottom