Reborn cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Hiya

Just purchased a couple of cheapo (£60 each) Dunlop mountain bikes for my wife and myself. No problems putting them together and I must say for the money I`m quite impressed. 18 gears, disk brakes and full suspension. OK! probably wouldn`t last very long left out in the rain and they weigh in quite heavy but for a bit of fun cycling for keeping fit around our local country lanes they should do nicely and didn`t break the bank:laugh:

I used to cycle when I was a teenager and did some time trials but boy oh boy those aching knees after just a short run out to test out the bikes:blush: and here was me thinking I`d cycle down to France next year for the Tour:biggrin:
Oh well! I`ve ordered a couple of Gel saddles, some guards, two sets of lights and a couple of stands, so that should be the last straw that breaks my back:laugh:
Talking about lights, these new led lights sure are cheap( cost less than the batteries) and I love the rear flashing red ones. That should make us visible if we ever venture out in the dark.

I know it might be against the grain but we live near the coast (not quite near enough to cycle there and be in any fit state to eat a bag of chips:biggrin: at our age so at times I`ll stick them in my VW transporter van, take them near and then just cycle around the area and flop back into the van.
Anyway, thanks for letting me in and I`ll post from time to time probably with questions. I`m quite looking forward to trying to get my legs to work tomorrow morning when I try to get out of bed:blush:

Dave

Hello Old Timer and welcome to the forum!

Glad that you and the misses are getting a lot of fun out of cycling!

Putting the bike in the VW isn't cheating; it's a practical solutiuon! I used to do the same with my VW Caravelle, and loved going away for a day/weekend and camp wild and sleep in the van after a good day's ride!

Hope you stay around; it's a fun place to be, with a wealth of knowledge and advice, and a fair share of laughs!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hiya Dave! Good one, keep it up. Remember, little and often is the way to get fitter. Keep the effort level low, and it'll stay much more fun.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Hiya Dave! Good one, keep it up. Remember, little and often is the way to get fitter. Keep the effort level low, and it'll stay much more fun.

Thanks Mikey, I should do OK then cos I drink gallons of tea and listen to radio 4 every day.

Dave

Hi Old Timer! Cycling is supposed to be pleasure, that's what my philosophy for these days is. I used to do a lot more when I was younger, in fact so much training & 'getting the miles in' it became almost a penance. After a lot of on and off cycling, I now cycle when I want to, go to cycling events/meet-ups within reasonable distance and generally enjoy it. If I only want to go 5 miles I do so.

Don't feel guilty about your VW Transporter - If I could get a bike in my car and go to the coast I'd do the same. Just take it easy, go to a cafe & eat cake & enjoy

bauldbairn

Sorry! Very belated WELCOME to the CC Forum from Central Scotland. All the best for the New Year! :sad:

Top Bottom