Reccomend me a £400 MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
As the title says really, I have approx a max budget of £450 and want a HT MTB for snow days and off road commutes during the summer, your thoughts please.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
seriously? keep saving or start ebaying. or think about a rigid mtb, a CX bike or even a robust tourer. if you want a snow day bike snow tyres should do the trick and a CX/tourer will handle off road commuting unless your commute involves crossing the pennines off road or some such.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
GregCollins said:
seriously? keep saving or start ebaying. or think about a rigid mtb, a CX bike or even a robust tourer. if you want a snow day bike snow tyres should do the trick and a CX/tourer will handle off road commuting unless your commute involves crossing the pennines off road or some such.

Totally why ?

I stated on a MTB and am enjoying riding my old one, My Ribble will always be my main bike (well until the next C2W) but I want a decent back up for when the weather doesnt allow me to be my roadie-self.

The off road will be pretty steep TBH

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
At that pricepoint any suspension you get will be more weight than use, I'd definitely look at rigid. At the £300 mark you have the Kona Smoke 2-9, it's classed as a hybrid/city bike but based around MTB geometry. It's a steel frame, comes with 47mm tyres and guards, so you've got clearance for up to about 2 inch tyres. Basically a rigid MTB with 700c wheels and some street mods, it takes a 135mm rear hub. Won't be a lightweight but Kona have a decent reputation for solid frames.

I know you have a mental block re the word hybrid at present but it covers so many different bikes that I think you should ignore labels. Look at detailed specs, frame material, tyre clearance, components and upgradeability.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
gb155 said:
Totally why ?

I stated on a MTB and am enjoying riding my old one, My Ribble will always be my main bike (well until the next C2W) but I want a decent back up for when the weather doesnt allow me to be my roadie-self.

The off road will be pretty steep TBH

So what's wrong with the old one? or is it a BSO?

My take is you've got a VERY decent road bike so I reckon you will most likely hate a cheap MTB and tbh at that price point there is very little 'mountain' in the bike. see what MacB said; I'd second it.

Of course if you go second hand or even better second hand retro you could pick up something nice, maybe even with a good Cro-Mo steel frame, with mudguard and rack eyes and have a decent proper all rounder second bike.

Tisn't the steepness of the off road that determines the need for an mtb, it's the speed you intend to come down it or the gearing you need to get up it. I ride my tourer on lots of stuff I ride my mtb down. just lots, lots slower. my summer commute can include some chunks of unsurfaced bridleways. tourer has the gears to cope but is way faster and more efficient on the tarmac than an(y)HT mtb

User knows of what he speaks; Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 has been well regarded in reviews and is available online for 5p less than £500

Norm

I'm a bit lighter than you, gb155, but I can completely understand your thoughts. I like my Giant Talon 3.

It has climbed to the top of the Sourton Tors on Dartmoor, spent many hours in Swinley Forest with me and taken me on 60+ mile towpath rides, as well as covering a fair few miles on the road. And, whilst it has lock-outs on the forks, front suspension is a Godsend to alleviate the poor surfacing on many of the roads and cycle paths round my way.

It's a trail bike rather than a heavy duty mountain bike but tall side-walls and the 4 / 5 kilo difference between it and a dedicated road bike make it pretty smooth on the road - it doesn't get deflected when I hit an unseen stone, for instance, and I don't need to worry about dodging potholes, I can just ride them out.

The term "hybrid" is open to so many interpretations that I find it confusing. For instance:

• Does putting road tyres onto a rigid MTB make it a hybrid?
  • Does putting flat bars onto a road bike make it a hybrid?
  • Why are the Kona Smoke and Specialized Sirrus put into the same "hybrid" category?
  • Why is a Specialized Sirrus (a fast road bike with flat bars) a hybrid when a Specialized Tricross (an off-road bike with drops) isn't?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I'm not sure what the frame geometry is like, but for the type of riding you are talking about i don't think that will be a big deal, for the money, this is a lot of bike, the main advantage is that the suspension forks are much better than you would normally get at this price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46175

If you want a hardtail mtb that's your choice, some don't recommend it for the type of riding you have mentioned, but I can see the attraction and it will give you the option to try more off road stuff if you fancy it. I would have a look through different bike shop websites, see what you can find, some pretty good deals on 2009 models. Try to keep away from the Suntour Suspension Forks, as already mentioned, these cheap forks are heavy and not a good suspension fork, go for Rockshox Tora or Dart. Also try to get hydraulic brakes, the cable operated ones are not great and again, quite heavy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Norm said:
The term "hybrid" is open to so many interpretations that I find it confusing. For instance:

• Does putting road tyres onto a rigid MTB make it a hybrid?
  • Does putting flat bars onto a road bike make it a hybrid?
  • Why are the Kona Smoke and Specialized Sirrus put into the same "hybrid" category?
  • Why is a Specialized Sirrus (a fast road bike with flat bars) a hybrid when a Specialized Tricross (an off-road bike with drops) isn't?

Let's see

first two = Nope because a hybrid has 700c wheels with mountain bike like geometry. Bars are a red herring plenty of early MTB's had drops and the odd MTB world champion ran them. Looks of people stateside run drop barred atb's and I've even got one in the shed build from an old Kona

3rd because they have mtb like frame geometry and 700c (or 29-er same thing mnore or less) wheels

4th sirrus has mtb like geometry with 700c wheels and the tricross doesn't have mtb geometry as it is a cyclocross bike with a totally diffent dna and heritage

btw CX bikes; the industry wants us to believe they are the current next best thing.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hybrid is a confusing term though, just look at the selection from any of the big retailers. If we were using the true sense of the word then almost every modern bike is a hybrid. They all borrow something from somewhere else.

Norm

GregCollins said:
first two = Nope because a hybrid has 700c wheels with mountain bike like geometry.
Which shows, perfectly, the confusion. The Carrera 1, for example, a fairly well regarded product which Halfords sell as a hybrid, comes with 26" wheels.

joebingo

Über Member
In the Feb issue of What Mountain Bike, they did a feature on mountain bikes circa £300, The specialized HardRock won the day, if you could get one of those and save up a little extra cash and buy a new fork for it, you'll have a very good bike!

Apparently, the frame is identical across the entire hardrock range, the different costs of each model all depend on componentry.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Norm said:
Which shows, perfectly, the confusion. The Carrera 1, for example, a fairly well regarded product which Halfords sell as a hybrid, comes with 26" wheels.

this an ATB an all terrain bike then. simples. I used to own a great little Trek ATB, it was basically a nexus hub geared MTB with slicks on and roller brakes. great around town. but it wasn't a hybrid....

how people market stuff is another matter entirely

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
joebingo said:
In the Feb issue of What Mountain Bike, they did a feature on mountain bikes circa £300, The specialized HardRock won the day, if you could get one of those and save up a little extra cash and buy a new fork for it, you'll have a very good bike!

Apparently, the frame is identical across the entire hardrock range, the different costs of each model all depend on componentry.

Now you can ride a Hardrock up and down real mountains if you take a bit of care. got two steel ones in the family fleet.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Guys, ultimately i guess i'm posing the question why go for a heavy(er), slow(er) mtb just for a bit of off roading during a commute. wouldn't a fat tyred touring bike be a better choice for that sort of mixed use? they aren't made of glass and eggshells.

Top Bottom