Reccomend me a £400 MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joebingo

Über Member
GregCollins said:
Guys, ultimately i guess i'm posing the question why go for a heavy(er), slow(er) mtb just for a bit of off roading during a commute. wouldn't a fat tyred touring bike be a better choice for that sort of mixed use? they aren't made of glass and eggshells.

My thinking is that a tourer doesn't really give much more options than Gaz already has.

A hardtail or Rigid MTB will give him the option of some proper offroading if he so wishes and his road bike for other times.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Giant XTC, GT Avalanche would be two i would look at straight away. But there are many around that price from Felt, Focus, Cube et al that may be worth considering.
Check Pauls Cycles for good reductions. You might be able to find a £700 bike reduced to about £400 which would be my choice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
joebingo said:
My thinking is that a tourer doesn't really give much more options than Gaz already has.

A hardtail or Rigid MTB will give him the option of some proper offroading if he so wishes and his road bike for other times.

He already has an MTB....

Other people's definition of a 'proper offroading MTB' is clearly so far removed from mine that I may as well be speaking serbo-croat!

The sort of off-roading you can do regularly and frequently on a sub £450 list price mtb without it breaking you can do on a bike which has vastly superior qualities on tarmac, which is where your commuting mtb will spend most of its life; a tourer or CX bike

MTB's make inferior commuters, the fact than 10's of 1000's commute on them does not disprove this. It just proves the power of form over function. ymmv.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GregCollins said:
He already has an MTB....

Other people's definition of a 'proper offroading MTB' is clearly so far removed from mine that I may as well be speaking serbo-croat!

The sort of off-roading you can do regularly and frequently on a sub £450 list price mtb without it breaking you can do on a bike which has vastly superior qualities on tarmac, which is where your commuting mtb will spend most of its life; a tourer or CX bike

MTB's make inferior commuters, the fact than 10's of 1000's commute on them does not disprove this. It just proves the power of form over function. ymmv.

this is why I'd opt for a 29er allrounder with two wheelsets, could achieve that for £450

Why dont you just keep the Ridgeback Velocity that you've got in the for sale section and buy some studded tyres for when it snows ?

Bet you wished you'd kept that Trek 6300 ?

Simon

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
My current MTB is a real BSO, 20 year old townsend, falling to bits, weighs a million tonne (had a great workout this am though )

That Spesh looks bloody nice and if its true they use the same frame over the range then hummmmmm, Not adversed to buying second hand at all.

The Ridgeback Velocity while is a mighty fine is also the bike I had my serious accident on, while there is nothing wrong with the bike and while the accident wasnt down to the bike, I have simply lost all confidence riding it.

RE: What is a Hybrid, I agree totally, I had a Scott SUB Classic, it was very much like a road bike, While the Ridgeback Velocity is much more like a MTB, bith are "Hybrids"

Valy

I find all this bickering about hybrids is just for the sake of it...

Make sure it is comfortable and that's about it. I have a Specialized Hardrock comp and have done about 1000kms on it so far. I had a fall where i bent the LH crank and the frame seems to be okay - if a little off center judging by the rear wheel , but that could have been there before, maybe it has asymmetrical chain stays as the whole seat tube is straight, just off center. Then I went into a curb ( with about a 40 degree angle to my direction of travel) at about 30km/h and the bike is in one piece. Went over some reasonably rough patches at speed and the bike is alright. So as far as the frame goes - it seems pretty tough. I do however get back aches after about 1 hour - so that goes back to the original - "make sure it's comfortable bit".

beastie

Guru
don't know if you are still looking gaz but this is on offer till Monday
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._ESPOTRIGHT_165555-_-03-FEB10-ADULTBIKES-R2-4

sandra

hard rock

I have a Specialized Hard Rock Disc and I love it. I does all the things I want, its not the lightest bike in the world but its not the heaviest either I am not going to win lots of races on it but I suspect that is because I am a bit fat and unfit, nothing to do with the bike. If I had thousands to spare then yes I would probably bought a better bike but I dont. and I think that if I was not so fat and alot fitter I would be beating anyone else on their expensive machines

Cubist

Still wavin'
:wacko:
sandra said:
I have a Specialized Hard Rock Disc and I love it. I does all the things I want, its not the lightest bike in the world but its not the heaviest either I am not going to win lots of races on it but I suspect that is because I am a bit fat and unfit, nothing to do with the bike. If I had thousands to spare then yes I would probably bought a better bike but I dont. and I think that if I was not so fat and alot fitter I would be beating anyone else on their expensive machines
:smile:
Sandra, can I swap you for my son?;) I'm desperately trying to convince him to be content with his midrange bike, instead of spending his entire life trying to persuade me to spend thooooooooousands on exotica. After all, he's 12 and rides ahead of the adults at our club on £2-3K XC machines!!

Top Bottom