Reccomendations for a Fast All-Year Bike / Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a duel between the thru-axelled and rather costly Bokeh and the more economic QR CAADX stripdown option now.[/QUOTE]

I'd be tempted to get the Mason and maybe compromise on the groupset if you really want thru-axles.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Thanks again for all the suggestions. At this point you all realise I'm a fussy barsteward but this thread has helped me see what options are there and think twice about which one I want to commit to.
I'm currently pestering Mason about the Bokeh because the extra cost of the frame offsets itself somewhat against the cost of building around a QR bike now and changing in future to thru-axle requiring a new dynamo and a wheelset rebuild which is hundreds before I've bought a frameset, with the Bokeh I doubt I'll be making a change at all.
The Kona Roadhouse seems to meet your criteria - thru-axles, Shimano hydraulic discs, clearance for 30mm+ tyres with guards and an 853 frame. Relatively inexpensive at £1444:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Roadhouse-2016-Road-Bike_82254.htm?gclid=CI_H69rektECFUZAGwodDTcBQw
Thanks for the suggestion it matches my OP very well but at it's just a personal preference matter - for that price I could not live with that colour :/
It's a duel between the thru-axelled and rather costly Bokeh and the more economic QR CAADX stripdown option now.
I'd be tempted to get the Mason and maybe compromise on the groupset if you really want thru-axles.
If I go for the Mason I'll use the same kit and just eat the cost; it's not so much an issue of max. budget, more that I'd rather not spend astronomical amounts on one bike but I can justify an extra 4-500 on something well designed that will ride well, do what I need and last me.
OP just use what you have got and save yourself a grand or so.
It'll be more than a grand I'll save but I'm already set on something new. There's nothing wrong with my Surly but by the time I've tanked it up some more with heavier tyres and more luggage points for commuting and touring it will really take the spring out of my step on other rides where I want to be pushing the pace.

John_S

Über Member
Hi crazyjoe101,

I agree that the Mason Bokeh looks like a lovely bike with some bang up to date features and some flexibility with wheel size etc. and so I hope that you enjoy it if you get one.

Following on from what simon.r has said I've got the 2016 Kona Roadhouse and for the money I think it's very good value for money and a lovely bike. However everything is in the eye of the beholder and if you simply don't like red bikes then appreciate that it's not one for you. I must admit that buying a red bike wouldn't have been my first choice but in the flesh it looks good and the spec of the bike for the money from a value perspective outweighed the fact that it wouldn't have been my first choice colour.

Enjoy your search and if you end up with the Bokeh it does look very nice (and British built) so enjoy.

John

AlexRoy

Kinesis 4S Disc. Sold as frame/fork only. You choose the rest. Matches your spec perfectly.

Top Bottom