Recent accident on my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silverfox62

I am a regular cyclist, both commuter and at weekends. I use mostly my Brompton to get about for work and recently had an accident. The bike snapped in two beneath me whilst heading into Manchester town centre from Hulme. The main frame weld sheared just on the handlebar side of the main frame hinge. I would be grateful to share others experiences where they have suffered any similar issues with their Brompton and would love to hear if anyone has got in touch with Brompton following anything like this instance.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yikes!

I would certainly contact Brompton in case it's a manufacturing issue and others are affected.
How old is it?

Photos?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yeah. I had that happen twice back in the late 1990s within the first year or so. The weld failed each time, and each time Brompton simply replaced the relevant frame part quickly and without a quibble. The resulting bike soldiered on for another six years or so.

My failures were quite graceful - the steel tore rather than snapped. Which is one of the reasons I've mistrusted aluminium ever since.

I'd take the bike into your dealer, ask for a loan bike, and get them to deal with the factory.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That could have been incredibly nasty. But yes, get in touch with your Brompton dealer and they should sort you out.
Can't say I've heard of this before though.

Top Bottom