Recharge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
F1 cars have something that stores energy up in the braking think it's called DRM something like that maybe?
Yes but that's on million pound cars.

How much would you pay for this to boost your mileage a bit ?

Electricity is still fairly cheap.

My EV has regenerative braking too but I think you'd notice the added weight on your bike.

You can't have perpetual motion.

Drago

Legendary Member
And wven on the F1 cars the system only captures a tiny proportion of the energy expemded to create the vehicles motion in the first place.

According to Richards Bicycle Book - cyclists in Scandinavia would often rig up sails when they got a tailwind.

I'm not sure how true that is.

We had a good tailwind once. We still talk about it 15 years on.

A sail on a bike would work - I sail dingies for many years so I understand a bit about it

However, anything but a tail wind would produce a degree of sideways force - which would change in size and direction constantly
Not totally sure I want that on a bike - maybe a trike would be OK
but then, the other problem with sails is that they tend to work all the damn time unless they are folded away. personally I like a power system on a bike that I can stop whenI want to - like my legs - rather than it keeping on pushing when some numpty pulls out in front of me.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
A sail on a bike would work - I sail dingies for many years so I understand a bit about it

However, anything but a tail wind would produce a degree of sideways force - which would change in size and direction constantly
Not totally sure I want that on a bike - maybe a trike would be OK
but then, the other problem with sails is that they tend to work all the damn time unless they are folded away. personally I like a power system on a bike that I can stop whenI want to - like my legs - rather than it keeping on pushing when some numpty pulls out in front of me.

View: https://youtu.be/5qeDB9Naolo
Works on kayaks too, one I made earlier :smile:

View: https://youtu.be/yg6zPz1wPHg

All uphill

Still rolling along
A wind turbine to charge an ebike battery sounds feasible to me. Probably need several batteries so that you could cope with still periods.

Landsailing, sand yachting, kite buggying ... all perfectly feasible in the UK climate for much of the year.

But about as much - or even somewhat less - practical use for the great majority of journeys in this country, as Barnabe Chaillot's wonderfully eccentric solar trailer. Sadly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom