Rechargeable batteries left on charge...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I seem to keep shortening the life of my mobile phone (and laptop) battery by leaving the device 'on charge' for long periods of time. My iPod was also plugged in for a few months and forgotten about and its battery won't hold its charge for more than a day or so now.

I have read that you're not supposed to leave rechargeable batteries 'charging' when they're fully charged because it can wreck the battery... as appears to be the case with my mobile, laptop and iPod... but my cordless landline phone sits endlessly in its charger with fully charged batteries and it has no effect on the longevity of those batteries. The same with my DAB radio; it recharges when turned off and stays plugged in permanently and those batteries are as good today as they were about ten years ago.

They're all lithium batteries so why do phone and laptop batteries seem to suffer when left plugged in for days/weeks/months whilst my landline phone and rechargeable radio doesn't?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
They're all lithium batteries so why do phone and laptop batteries seem to suffer when left plugged in for days/weeks/months whilst my landline phone and rechargeable radio doesn't?

Your mobile devices probably have high current fast chargers compared with your cordless phone and radio, which likely trickle charge at just a few milliamps.

Some mobiles have more intelligent charging than others too. I’ve just come back from a week away and found a message on the screen of my work mobile saying it had shut down charging completely to preserve long term battery life. I didn’t know it did that.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Your mobile devices probably have high current fast chargers compared with your cordless phone and radio, which likely trickle charge at just a few milliamps.

Some mobiles have more intelligent charging than others too. I’ve just come back from a week away and found a message on the screen of my work mobile saying it had shut down charging completely to preserve long term battery life. I didn’t know it did that.

as i understand it, 'intelligent' charging has been around for many years. Laptops marginally more modern than mine appear to have it, so you'd think by now most devices would. The tech that stops a charging circuit can't be that complex, surely?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
as i understand it, 'intelligent' charging has been around for many years. Laptops marginally more modern than mine appear to have it, so you'd think by now most devices would. The tech that stops a charging circuit can't be that complex, surely?

There’s very little need for even that complexity with trickle charging.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was surprised by my iPhone a few weeks ago, when it displayed a message that it had 'shut-down due to temperature' (or a phrase to that effect)
It was on the car-seat, in direct sun (25 degrees+ ?), whilst waiting for daughter

My current and old Galaxy S7 does the same thing when left in the sunshine. Battery life is still good, unlike my Daughters Google Pixel which didn't even last a year before the battery puffed up. Replaced FOC and advised not to use USB C fast (2A) charging....

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was surprised by my iPhone a few weeks ago, when it displayed a message that it had 'shut-down due to temperature' (or a phrase to that effect)
It was on the car-seat, in direct sun (25 degrees+ ?), whilst waiting for daughter

It’ll get a lot hotter than the shade temperature if in direct sunlight.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I read in some bumf which came with my IPhone that it should not if possible be allowed to go below about 30% or 40% and never charge to 100% but just below that. Certainly the iphone7+ I had developed a very fast discharge rate as I did charge to 100% but my present 8 something seems to have good battery life with my usage.
Mebbe all rubbish but I am not qualified to tell if true or not.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My laptop has “ intelligent charging “ which keeps the charge at about 80% I rarely unplug it.

My Lenovo has a charging limit usually set to 60% to maximise the lifetime of the battery. I rarely unplug that machine so that is fine. On the rare occasions that I need to use the device for longer periods away from mains power I switch the limiter off and charge to 100% just before use. I think that I bookmarked a site of interest on this subject - let me have a look... Here you go - Battery university.

Petrichorwheels

My Lenovo has a charging limit usually set to 60% to maximise the lifetime of the battery. I rarely unplug that machine so that is fine. On the rare occasions that I need to use the device for longer periods away from mains power I switch the limiter off and charge to 100% just before use. I think that I bookmarked a site of interest on this subject - let me have a look... Here you go - Battery university.

I have a lenovo tab that in the instructions recommends not going above 60 per cent.
I switched the auto limit off and tend to go for 80.
maybe will revise.

like you charge high if going to be out and about with it for a fair old while.
I fear I shortened the life of an earlier lenovo tab by very regularly/usually taking it to 100 - usually by charging overnight.
These days I never charge overnight - just a top up during the day.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a lenovo tab that in the instructions recommends not going above 60 per cent.
I switched the auto limit off and tend to go for 80.
maybe will revise.

like you charge high if going to be out and about with it for a fair old while.
I fear I shortened the life of an earlier lenovo tab by very regularly/usually taking it to 100 - usually by charging overnight.
These days I never charge overnight - just a top up during the day.

I wore out the battery in my old Dell and then wore out its replacement too so I am being more careful with the newer laptop. Especially important since the Lenovo battery is not supposed to be user-replaceable. I have seen YouTube videos showing how to do it, but I would rather not have to do that.

The design capacity of the battery is 46 Wh. I just checked - after 6 years use, the battery still holds 45 Wh; I am very happy with that!

Petrichorwheels

I wore out the battery in my old Dell and then wore out its replacement too so I am being more careful with the newer laptop. Especially important since the Lenovo battery is not supposed to be user-replaceable. I have seen YouTube videos showing how to do it, but I would rather not have to do that.

I'd never replace a built-in battery, keen as I would be to do it for reasons of resenting waste and concern for the planet.
Too risky on the fire front.
It's time there was some standardisation on a replaceable plug-in tab battery but won't happen I guess - too many folks like to show off their slimline device and express their personality through a bit of plastic electronics.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
My Lenovo tablet is on its third battery, replacement isn't that difficult.

Top Bottom