rechargeable batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A recent thread on Eneloops was interesting. Use them with a Nimh charger but they don't lose their charge when stored.

I use GP rechargeables. The 2700mA AA's fit in the Tesco torch.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Most of my rechargable batteries are Energiser they've been OK but recently I got some Uni ross, they're only 2300mAh but I like them and they seem to perform better than than the energiser,

Lazy-Commuter

I've got some Uniross 2700mAh ones that I bought a while ago. Seem to last a long time (as you'd expect) but I've not been able to find them lately .. my most recent buys were 2300s.

The Eneloops do sound interesting and I'll probably have a punt on a set of those next time I need some batteries.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Uniross hybrios. I have 2100mAh ones. Like lazy commuter says uniross seem less concerned with the higher capacities with the hybrios than they did with the previous 2 generations of their rechargables (which I've used). I had 2700mAh previous generation uniross and 2100 of the generation before. They perform extremely poorly compared to the hybrios, that said I still know some people that use 2 generations back! I'm sure there is probably better than hybrio but very impressed, a big step up.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm here to say, don't be tempted by the very cheap ones on ebay from Hong Kong, they're noticeably lower capacity than the brand names, regardless of what they're advertised as

chipmonster

I have the 7 day shop ones 2500 mAh and maplin 2500 mAh.

I find that the maplin one last longer and they were both purchased and used about the same time.

Lazy-Commuter

Are the hybrios the Uniross equivalent of the Eneloops ? I think the Eneloops "only" go up to 2000 mAh but I've heard that they last at least as well as higher capacity ones. Due to whatever technical reason I don't know.

marinyork

Oh yeah, one thing I think which would be quite useful is if people have rechargables if they could post the diameters of them, especially if they have a micrometer.

My uniross hybrios are 1.4cm whereas alkalines I was using before are definitely about a mm smaller at 1.3cm.

marinyork

Lazy commuter I don't know what the largest size of AA hybrio is, I have 2100s and that seems to be the common size. Maybe they don't actually go larger than that (although I have the feeling I have seen some)?

The 2100mAh hybrios are miles better than the 2700mAh bog standard uniross. There's no comparison really.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used some Vapex AA batteries for a few years, they worked well but they are a bit tired now and I'm starting to have problems with them. Just replaced them with some similar-capacity Duracells. Both types were around 2700 mAh. I've not had the Duracells long but I've been using some of their AAAs in my Smart lights for some time.

Lazy-Commuter

Hello again marinyork, we're doomed to cross paths today it seems.

I've had a quick Google and it seems that the hybrios do seem to be the Uniross answer to the Eneloops .. hold their charge longer so they can be charged up before packing them and still be sure there'll be enough juice left for them to be used out of the packet.

Given that they akin to the Eneloops, they no doubt are better than the higher capacity "old fashioned" ones; I've certainly heard that said of the Eneloops and your experience bears that out.

I've got no means to measure the size to any degree of accuracy but I have noticed that higher capacity rechargeables tend to be quite a snug fit in things. Presumably part of the way to get higher capacity is to just pack more "stuff" into the battery and you can get quite an increase in volume by making the radius a little bit bigger. I guess there's a bit of leeway in the sizing standards. :laugh:

I must say, I'm no expert on rechargeables other than as a user of them that's done a bit of Google research. So please take what I'm saying with that in mind.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
eneloops for me. bought 8 of them very cheap last week. Hold charge much better than any other batteries i've used. and a very normal size and thickness, and yes they do fit that torch

Danny

Legendary Member
Which magazine recently tested rechargeable batteries and picked out the following as best buys.

• Duracell Active Charge
  • GP Recyko+
  • Varta Power Accu
They all scored 100% in their performance tests. Having said that the other six make of battery tested scored between 94% and 98% so there is probably not a lot to choose between the leading brands.

PS I think we should ask Admin to set up a separate forum for all torch and battery threads.

MajorMantra

Any of the low self-discharge nimhs is a good bet. I've got Eneloops, Panasonic Infiniums and Uniross Hybrios and all are fine.

Matthew

Top Bottom