Recipes for maximising carbohydrate intake whilst riding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm sure a few of you have read about the maximum amount of carbs, you can process, being around 60 g an hour. Possibly 90g an hour if you mix glucose and fructose. Above that amount you'll get a build up of undigested carbs leading to gastric ditress / stomach issues. So I've been considering what you'd need to eat on the bike to take in a max of 60g of carbs an hour.

12 jelly babies an hour. So you could eat 2 jelly babies every 10 mins and you're hitting 60g an hour
25 fruit pastiles an hour. So you could eat 4 fruit pastiles every 10 mins and you're hitting 60g an hour

Any other combinations to hit that 60g of carbs intake an hour.

Stompier

Bear in mind that's the 'maximum' amount - the actual 'required' amount will vary according to your own metabolism and energy expenditure. It also depends on whether you want to run a calorie deficit or not and therefore you might not want to replace like with like.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
And i have read that people doing a lot of distance riding can get sugar overload and have got by on savoury sausage rolls etc

I’m one of those. I struggle with too much sugar. There’s a theory that pork pies are good nosh for long distance. Too much protein for me. I’d prefer salted cashews or rice cakes. Occasionally I crave salted boiled eggs or salt and vinegar crisps.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I’m one of those. I struggle with too much sugar. There’s a theory that pork pies are good nosh for long distance. Too much protective n for me. I’d prefer salted cashews or rice cakes. Occasionally I crave salted boiled eggs or salt and vinegar crisps.
Im keen on flapjack sort of stuff , the cliff bars are nice and i even use the peanut flavoured trek bars , done many a long ride on those and if im going for time like a sportive then i dont use instant sugar hits like gels etc till im near the end and need a boost , of course the best fuel is a cake stop :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Too late in both cases. Even for us mere mortals.
That's how I do it. Have done loads of 100 mile rides . And a few bigger ones. I am a mere mortal. Even though my other half thinks I am a god.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Two Melton Mowbray pork pies per hour puts you just over the 60g of carbs mark - but also provides essential recovery proteins and fats.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254271813
I have a healthy appetite and am now vegetarian but even when I was an avid carnivore I would not have been able to face eating 24 pork pies on a 12 hour bike ride! :laugh:

I largely get by on DIY energy drinks - 1/3 OJ for flavour and fructose, 2/3 water, plus 2 heaped scoops of maltodextrin powder per 3/4 litre bottle. Approximately 1 bottle for every 50 km/30-odd miles ridden. On longer rides (80+ km/50+ miles) I would add one or 2 Cokes and whatever food I fancied at cafe/shop stops.

si_c

Guru
I have a healthy appetite and am now vegetarian but even when I was an avid carnivore I would not have been able to face eating 24 pork pies on a 12 hour bike ride! :laugh:

I'm tempted to try it, the only problem being where would you store so many pork pies?

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’m one of those. I struggle with too much sugar.

Have you ever looked at the rate you've been consuming it though? I've never really looked at my rate of consumption and have that, sugar overload stage. So this weekend's 200km I intend to stick to no more than 60g of carbs per hour and see how I get on. I have some zip locks prepared, so I can see how my stomach gets on with it. I seem to have lost my little and often of years gone back.

Top Bottom