Reckon Quintana will even get a contract with Arkea for next year ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guitars and Bikes

With his physical attributes that promise so much whilst he falls apart on a regular basis, I wont be surprised if even Pro level Arkea dont want Quintana's signature for next year.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Unemployed

lyn1

Über Member
Wont be surprised if after todays walloping if Nairo's P45 is already in the post box
That would be very expensive for them, as it would mean breaking his contract that runs to end of 2022, He is by far the team's top points scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

That would be very expensive for them, as it would mean breaking his contract that runs to end of 2022, He is by far the team's top points scorer.
keeping Nairo on the Arkea books to end of season 2022 is madness in my books. Arkea should cut their losses, his physical makeup promised explosivity in the mountains, and how many times has he gasped over the finish line on mountain stages after being soundly beaten.

lyn1

Über Member
keeping Nairo on the Arkea books to end of season 2022 is madness in my books. Arkea should cut their losses, his physical makeup promised explosivity in the mountains, and how many times has he gasped over the finish line on mountain stages after being soundly beaten.
I guess it depends why he was signed. If you have noticed his flaws its a safe bet that experienced managers will be familiar with this issue. He certainly had a difficult final year at WT but that would have influenced/reduced his salary demands making him more accessible to a Pro team.

Arkea applied for a WT license last year, but were not ranked highly enough. Consequently, the way for them to guarantee the top WT races for 2021 and beyond was through guaranteed wild cards by ranking 1 or 2 among the Pro teams. Hence the need to sign guys capable of maximising points, even at the expense of the odd win, as at that point (Pre Covid) there was no suggestion that any team would collapse and leave a WT license available.

As it happens they may well get a WT license as the CCC team license appears to be available. It was offered to Alpecin, but they declined it, preferring to stay Pro level.

does anyone really believe its that simple for a team manager to say sorry you was a bit shoot today , goodbye, close the door on your way out, we dont want you next year, riders are signed for all sorts of reasons as outlined above

SWSteve

Guru
I guess it depends why he was signed. If you have noticed his flaws its a safe bet that experienced managers will be familiar with this issue. He certainly had a difficult final year at WT but that would have influenced/reduced his salary demands making him more accessible to a Pro team.

Arkea applied for a WT license last year, but were not ranked highly enough. Consequently, the way for them to guarantee the top WT races for 2021 and beyond was through guaranteed wild cards by ranking 1 or 2 among the Pro teams. Hence the need to sign guys capable of maximising points, even at the expense of the odd win, as at that point (Pre Covid) there was no suggestion that any team would collapse and leave a WT license available.

As it happens they may well get a WT license as the CCC team license appears to be available. It was offered to Alpecin, but they declined it, preferring to stay Pro level.

fair play to Alpecin, making sure Van Der Poel is able to be under the spotlight whenever he appears on televised races. That must weigh heavily on his shoulders

SWSteve

Guru
Back to the subject. Is Quintana really doing that badly?

What did we expect? Going into this year’s Tour we all would surely have said Top-10 was a solid effort with, likely, minimal support in the big mountains - and that’s where he is.

If, as others have said, Arkea need the points to mean they qualify to then apply for a WTLicence, this could be a big step on the way.

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

At this rate of going Nairo will find it difficult enough getting a job delivering newspapers by bike. I reckon he is finished as a race winning contender.

Top Bottom