Recommend a cycling novel?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Panter, 18 Jan 2008.

1. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Mr Tom - Chris sidwells, not a novel but a fine read. The debate is between him and Millar (Miller?) as for Britain's best cyclist

'ere Chuffy, found you a nice website :thumbsup:

2. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Oh god I'm annoyed just thinking about it. :biggrin:
    Eat banananana. Comment on being a girl. Change a layer. Comment on being small. Change a layer. Eat banananananana. Change a layer. Backcomb hair. Change a layer. Repeat for several hundred bloody annoying pages. AAARGHH!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Can't say I've ever heard of her before. But I have just had a quick glance at her web site, and I have judged her books by their covers.

Won't be bothering.

4. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

:sad:

Actually the Wind in My Wheels has a fairly harrowing account of someone trying to rape her. But then it reverts to type.

Did you read any of her news pages? She's a mother now you know and has a camper van. All good stuff :angry:

5. simonali

simonali Guru

6. Noodley

Noodley Guest

7. simonali

simonali Guru

8. Abitrary

Abitrary New Member

9. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Buy it and post a review?

10. simonali

simonali Guru

Not read it, but I do have a copy somewhere. I bought it for the missus years ago and she won't read it as it looked boring to her. It's just fluffy chick lit stuff with a story based around the big race I'd say from the cursory glance I've given it.

I only suggested it as a joke and because it is a novel, not a non-fiction.

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

12. simonali

simonali Guru

Phew, saved from Noodley by googley!

13. simoncc

simoncc New Member

Lark Rise to Candleford, currently being serialised on TV has a couple of pages about cycling in it.Apparently cycling club outings in the 1890s were led by a cyclist with a bugle to warn of their approach, and it was a custom to send a telegram from the farthest point away from home on a day's ride to both prove that you were OK and that you had actually cycled so far.

14. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Surprised noone's yet mentioned Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman.

(A book I have conspicuously failed to finish. :smile: )

15. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I agree with everything you say, but i still rather like Josie Dew!! The first one is by far the best...and the attempted rape story is pretty awful!!! I enjoy them in an easy-to-read kind of way...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice