Recommend a decent portable car battery starter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
@Accy cyclist. Did memory serve me right that you had a mini?

DRM

Guru
There are batteries, then there are quality batteries, however the current cold snap will illuminate any dodgy batteries as once you get around 0 c the capacity drops off, so an already iffy battery will soon get killed off, now on electric fork trucks used in cold stores, used in around -20 c the battery capacity is upped to 20% more than the same truck used in an ambient warehouse, I'd just bite the bullet and get a new, good quality battery, your just postponing the inevitable by buying a booster pack.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I’ve got one of these

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hillington-Portable-Emergency-Starter-Compressor/dp/B07YX62D68/ref=sr_1_46?crid=RM0N9OYRY46A&dchild=1&keywords=battery+charger+car&qid=1610274377&quartzVehicle=29-405&replacementKeywords=battery+car&sprefix=Battery+charger+%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-46

I’d shop around though as I’m sure it only cost me £30 or so a couple of years ago. £57 sounds a bit steep to me. It also (a bit slowly) pumps your tyres up. my car gets used maybe once a month or less sometimes, so it’s been a useful tool.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist. Did memory serve me right that you had a mini?
Have,not had.👍

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I've often thought about them and other national breakdown services,but they take at least an hour to get to you. That's ok if you're at home and your car won't start,but not if you're miles from home.
It must vary, but call out times are less than 50 mins if you look at the websites.

I have an amusing story of when I was in the AA. My car, a Peugeot 505 estate's clutch linkage snapped and I could not change gear with the clutch. I managed to start the car with the car in gear using the starter motor and got a few miles nearer home, but I knew if I had to stop in traffic, I would be stuck. So I managed to drive into a pub forecourt. Got my AA card out and wanted to go into the pub to use their phone. It was pre mobile phone days. Also in the days when pubs were closed in the afternoon. So with my AA card in my hand, walked back to the car. Just at that point, an AA patrol van was approaching. So I waved my AA card and he stopped and sorted me out! You couldn't get a quicker call out than that AND I hadn't even managed to phone them!

Now with green flag as the AA membership seemed to be getting dearer each year.

MntnMan62

Über Member
It must vary, but call out times are less than 50 mins if you look at the websites.

I have an amusing story of when I was in the AA. My car, a Peugeot 505 estate's clutch linkage snapped and I could not change gear with the clutch. I managed to start the car with the car in gear using the starter motor and got a few miles nearer home, but I knew if I had to stop in traffic, I would be stuck. So I managed to drive into a pub forecourt. Got my AA card out and wanted to go into the pub to use their phone. It was pre mobile phone days. Also in the days when pubs were closed in the afternoon. So with my AA card in my hand, walked back to the car. Just at that point, an AA patrol van was approaching. So I waved my AA card and he stopped and sorted me out! You couldn't get a quicker call out than that AND I hadn't even managed to phone them!

Now with green flag as the AA membership seemed to be getting dearer each year.

These portable battery jumpers are meant to get your car going so you can drive it to a mechanic and get it fixed. Often times there is no or little indication that a battery is about to go dead. These battery chargers are fantastic because you don't have to sit around waiting for some service to come to you that you are probably paying as much as one of these battery charges in annual membership dues. When my car wouldn't start because of a faulty battery, I was able to immediately get it started and drove straight to the mechanic or at least drove home so I could then use the charger again the next morning to take it in to the shop. And the battery charger will last for years. The services charge their membership fees each and every year. I'll stick with my batter charger thank you very much.

Top Bottom