Recommend a decent shed alarm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Having had my beloved car stolen and burned out Sunday night I'm on a mission to beef up security around the house.
Can anyone recommend a decent shed alarm? preferably one that sprays intruders with explosive tipped shells from a minigun, but failing that an ear splitting siren would do

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, bad luck!:sad:

Can't help with the alarm bit, I'm afraid.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Geese are better than a dog. If you have a flock of them, selective culling will supply the sunday roasts every other month.

classic33

Leg End Member
Best not! :evil: However, careful placement could result in a most satisfactory perforated eardrum:evil:

I've had one "fired in anger" when somebody tried removing the Brox it was fitted to. The blank is similar in volume to a shotgun being fired.

lukesdad

MiL ^_^

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :biggrin:

I'm liking the live mine idea, but I'm just too forgetful. I doubt the neighbours will appreciate the constant blasting everytime I wander out into the shed!

We do have a dog, this is the current head of security in the Panter household:

DSC_0668.jpg

But, she's always too busy being fast asleep to be much use as a guard dog. In fact, she's curled up on my lap right now snoring loud enough to wake the dead.

Geese are good, but they just don't like me. I can barely leave the house without being set upon by flocks of marauding geese. It's a bit of a pain really.

Mil has Parkinsons and under constant hospital care so I don't think they'd let us install her in the shed, although I'm quite sure her husband would be well up for it ^_^

Maplins seem to have a range of IR alarms that should do the job, I'll try one of those as a short term measure until a decent minigun comes up on ebay

berty bassett

Legendary Member
if you have electric in shed then yale do a good alarm and if you go the argos discount store they are usually in there at half price - won't stop some of the idiots out there but will put of most - and its bleeding loud - i booby trapped my shed with alsorts - nails in wood on floor - fish hooks on wire round handle - and the best was pick axe head swinging head height when door opened but when i was broke into and the police were called , i was close to being prosecuted for doing that

lukesdad

A simple trip wire made of fishing line linked to a switch to alarm/lights/shotgun trigger. Easy to disarm when needed

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, I've ordered an IR alarm from Maplins now. Much as I love the idea of booby trapping, I'm just too absent minded for that, especially when staggering into the shed early in the morning to retrieve the bike.
I just needed something loud to alert me, and hopefully to scare them off if they got in there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The IR alarms are OK - got one in my garage. They are on a 'delay' and if someone was really quick they could smash it down and remove the batteries. That said it's mounted high up.

Don't forget to d-lock the bikes down. Also the battery powered 'window' alarms are quite effective - thump the window and it goes off. Cheap and simple.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Fossy, the one I've ordered is on a programmable delay, so I'll have it on a short timer, the idea really is to just make it harder for the scrotes.
All bikes have huge chains and locks on, I don't see how I can really do too much more without major expense and making it hard for myself to get access. It's all got to be quick easy stuff otherwise I'll get lazy and just won't bother after a while

Top Bottom