Recommend a good compact sound system.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My old (28 years old) Technics with Heybrook speakers is giving problems and it would need a new amplifier and the speakers only have a limited lifespan.
As we are re-doing the room I am thinking of a good all-in-on system..............similar to the Bose Wave System as they are supposed to "fill the room" similar to full hi-fi.
There is only one indipendant hi-fi dealer so I can only get his biased opinion (nice guy but he's not going to recommend something he doesnt stock).
It is my understanding that Bose are WELL over priced but I have nothing to compare them to.
Any ideas/suggestions ??????????

gavintc

Guru
Have a look at Sonos. They have come down in price and the Sonos 1 is perfect for a small room. I have bought and upgraded over the last 3 -4 yrs and now have 6 connected rooms.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Another vote for Sonos. So versatile and have a great sound. Anyone can play their own music from their own device, wireless - just download the app.

albion

Guru
'similar to the Bose Wave System as they are supposed to "fill the room"
Yes, they sound fill and are suited to a box sized room.

But any half decent mid small speakers will sound far better

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
In the office I have a Denon RCD M38DAB with Mission MX1 speakers. For the money (about £170 plus about £100) it sounds pretty good.
Here's a review of the Denon...
http://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m38dab/review

The only problem with those is they're the same depth as standard hifi so unless you've got deep bookshelves it won't fit!

mustang1

Guru
In the office I have a Denon RCD M38DAB with Mission MX1 speakers. For the money (about £170 plus about £100) it sounds pretty good.
Here's a review of the Denon...
http://www.whathifi.com/denon/d-m38dab/review
I wanted to buy that demon but after demoing at the store with demon speakers I was very u derwhelmed. I wanted to check it out with those mission speakers but couldn't get a demo. I heard (no pun) they sound far better. In the end however I bought a sony something 1024 and mission mx3. I'm still not enamoured with the sound but I couldn't get larger volume speakers and also I was I a bit of a hurry to buy.

I also have a Bose 28 which sounds good. It was fine for when I acquired it 10 years ago. Alas I am a traditional HiFi separates kinda guy but also like the subtle looks of a smaller setup.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Another vote for Sonos. I've got a Play:5 in the kitchen, another Play:5 in the conservatory (for my turbo training motivational music) and it's linked into my main hi-fi in the living room. I don't subscribe to any internet music services, but there are 1000's of free international music radio stations accessible via the Tunein application which comes preinstalled in the Sonos componenrs.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have a look at Sonos. They have come down in price and the Sonos 1 is perfect for a small room. I have bought and upgraded over the last 3 -4 yrs and now have 6 connected rooms.

My lounge is actually quite big.......19' 0" long x 12' 0" wide......would it suit that size??

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My lounge is actually quite big.......19' 0" long x 12' 0" wide......would it suit that size??

If you also have a high ceiling, nothing will suit that size.

Try the clap test, if there's much of an echo you will struggle to get decent reproduction, whatever the equipment.

Top Bottom