Recommend A Laptop For My 9 Year Old Daughter, Windows 10 Sucks, Please Prove Otherwise...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This I hope is an observation rather than criticism and it comes from someone with no serious knowledge of computing other than every day use.

You say you have been building PCs for years and certainly some of your terminology leaves me baffled so I’m happy to believe this. Would you not therefore have the knowledge to make this decision without asking and also be aware of the limitations those with greater knowledge feel apply to Windows?

MS is the dominant force in the market. It’s inevitable throughout her life your daughter will have to work with Windows. If she develops the interest no doubt she’ll explore what some see as better alternatives. I would have thought a reasonably priced laptop for a nine year old is more than adequate - if it’s a bit slow does this really matter? If she develops an interest in computing that is the time to consider something faster and better.

I have a Surface Pro running Windows 10 and I’m more than happy with it. At 64 none of this technology existed when I was a child. I think what many fail to take in to account is Windows has opened up a world of technology to billions who would probably never otherwise had the opportunity - clearly though something else would have happened if Windows didn’t exist and some would dislike that alternative. There may well be far better alternatives which work for those with adequate knowledge but for the vast majority who simply need to click and type Windows works well.

If Windows was really as appalling as some say the company would have failed years ago. A bad product will ultimately fail and the reality is no other product, Apple aside, has challenged MS.

Overall I feel you simply ended up with a dud. I know the feeling, it’s incredibly frustrating and I’m experiencing similar with Wahoo at present. Everyone says it’s great, my experience is the complete opposite. When I go to Evans later I’m hoping it will turn out I bought a dud one as well!!

OP
OP
Cletus Van Damme

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
This I hope is an observation rather than criticism and it comes from someone with no serious knowledge of computing other than every day use.

You say you have been building PCs for years and certainly some of your terminology leaves me baffled so I’m happy to believe this. Would you not therefore have the knowledge to make this decision without asking and also be aware of the limitations those with greater knowledge feel apply to Windows?

MS is the dominant force in the market. It’s inevitable throughout her life your daughter will have to work with Windows. If she develops the interest no doubt she’ll explore what some see as better alternatives. I would have thought a reasonably priced laptop for a nine year old is more than adequate - if it’s a bit slow does this really matter? If she develops an interest in computing that is the time to consider something faster and better.

I have a Surface Pro running Windows 10 and I’m more than happy with it. At 64 none of this technology existed when I was a child. I think what many fail to take in to account is Windows has opened up a world of technology to billions who would probably never otherwise had the opportunity - clearly though something else would have happened if Windows didn’t exist and some would dislike that alternative. There may well be far better alternatives which work for those with adequate knowledge but for the vast majority who simply need to click and type Windows works well.

If Windows was really as appalling as some say the company would have failed years ago. A bad product will ultimately fail and the reality is no other product, Apple aside, has challenged MS.

Overall I feel you simply ended up with a dud. I know the feeling, it’s incredibly frustrating and I’m experiencing similar with Wahoo at present. Everyone says it’s great, my experience is the complete opposite. When I go to Evans later I’m hoping it will turn out I bought a dud one as well!!

Your right man. I used to build PC's and I'm fairly comfortable with them. But its been a while, your right I bought a dud. Microsoft have changed Windows because less people use computers I guess, and they want one product to work with different platforms, this is my main gripe with it. I don't have the time that I used to and I have little patience. I use computers all the time at work, very powerful ones as my job is primarily laser scanning, a surveying scanner, and a rigid arm for precision components, processing millions of measured points and registering all the scans into one. I have a technical job, but not a lot of patience or common sense. Considering how user-unfriendly a lot of the software that I use is, I should have more patience. I guess I just don't like change.

I still like the idea of a Chromebook, going back to basics, how it should be. In my eyes an operating system is primarily something to simplify complex commands to start programs. That's all I want not a lot of nonsense, speech commands, linking my Xbox, and a whole load of other crap. Obviously I'm a dinosaur, whom hates looking on google to disable all this cack, and there lies the problem...

Good luck at Evans man..

Last edited:
Top Bottom