Recommend a PPI claims company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sure if I was lucky or unlucky, I have never had ppi. Nice Billy bonus if you did have though.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This probably doesn’t need mentioning, but for clarification, this not a lottery win, or a windfall, or bonus. This is money that the banks defrauded from people, by selling a product that was worthless. In my case the ppi was sold to me on the basis that it would pay out if I couldn’t work. What they didn’t tell me was they would not pay if I was self employed, which I was. I just claimed back money which was mine. I had already paid the tax on it. I got interest which was subject to tax.

gavgav

Guru
Don’t use a company, it’s really easy to do yourself. I did it last year, by contacting banks and mortgage companies directly, using contacts found on their websites. There is a standard form that most require you to complete, but it’s pretty easy stuff to complete. I got more back than I was expecting.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No me neither, the one thing I have often wondered though, the people who actually used it and made a claim, did they have to repay the banks!!
I did have one account that I claimed on, which did not pay out, it had PPI and add on services like holiday insurance and car breakdown. They refused the claim on the basis I used the car breakdown benefits. I don’t recall this and I took it to the ombudsman who ruled in the banks favour. I did not have to compensate the bank.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@KneesUp I used The Claims Guys on the recommendation of a friend. I found them easy and professional to work with.

I do have some observations to make which contradict those who feel the process is easy. At 64 my wife and I had cards and products stretching back over 40 years. Every product required at least one form to be completed, any joint accounts at least two. Some of the sellers no longer exist through takeover etc. We hit a stumbling block when we couldn't remember the number of the house we bought in 1980. Details of employment, employment benefits etc will be required. You have to know how to answer questions, giving the wrong answer can nullify a claim. The Claims Guys are not allowed to "guide" you in how to answer.

We gave up claiming the day seven copies of the same form arrived for completion from Santander - one for each store card. A large number of store cards are run by Santander on behalf of major retailers.

We got £22 and paid £7 in fees. By all means go ahead but don't underestimate the work involved. If you are confident you have a significant claim press on. If like me it's just a hopeful punt it's unlikely to be worth the time and effort.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
I used one company that was ok but unable to obtain anything as stated it was too long ago.
I then went to RYM claims and got a result.
They were fast, professional and their charges were lower.
:smile:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Don’t bother with a claims company, just contact the banks/lender directly. They’ll help you do it. I reclaimed over 12k a few years ago from Lloyd’s, no fees I got all the money.

Sound advice. Don't use middlemen! - 25-30% commission. I went direct to my bank in 2012, waited 12 weeks and got about £9k back. that would have been less if I'd used a PPI firm. Give the bank your detail & let them look into it.

Top Bottom