Recommend a rain jacket please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That Montane featherlite looks as if it might do the job

I have the gilet version which really does scrunch up small - to about the size of an apple. I'm not too bothered about my arms getting wet in the summer.

gilet.jpg

In the winter, I'd be wearing my heavy duty Endura jacket. 

If that jacket does all that PBK claim (waterproof, breathable and windproof) then it's an effing good jacket for that price. Bite their hands off.

But my own feeling is that I doubt it can do all of that. I'd love to be proven wrong (and perhaps moggsy can do just that!) but my understanding is that any material that can effectively do it all is going to be somewhat more expensive.

Yeh i think i can safely add that it is all of the above.. its a funny feeling fabric with strange technical properties and defo acts fantastically as a windstop top in emergencies...

Just below that price @£40 IIRC correctly is the Montane Featherlite Velo. Its a really good fit for me and is really breathable. Its nice a small/ light too I keep mine in my pocket. Its not 100% waterproof ( its marketed weather resistant) but I find it perfect for the summer showers and the odd time when I've wanted to stay really warm/dry I've wore a Gilet too. I've more waterproof jackets but because of its breath ability and size its my choice :smile:

Edit: Link added

I have one of these and it is totally useless in wet weather. I was wearing it yesterday and got caught in rain in no time I was soaked through. My best lightweight is a Freestyle jacket I got from York Rally a couple of years ago.

I have one of these and it is totally useless in wet weather. I was wearing it yesterday and got caught in rain in no time I was soaked through. My best lightweight is a Freestyle jacket I got from York Rally a couple of years ago.

I don't find mine bad at all in wet weather have you reproofed it at all? I've been in some terrible weather with mine and with a gilet combo I only really find that water seems to build up in the sleeves. It got a good test in last years Ken Laidlaw 105 miles in the constant rain (without a gilet) and other than water in the elbows it kept me dry and warm.

I don't find mine bad at all in wet weather have you reproofed it at all? I've been in some terrible weather with mine and with a gilet combo I only really find that water seems to build up in the sleeves. It got a good test in last years Ken Laidlaw 105 miles in the constant rain (without a gilet) and other than water in the elbows it kept me dry and warm.

If you have to buy a jacket and then have to waterproof it, what is the point of buying the jacket as a waterproof? I did spray some of the Graingers waterproofer on this jacket but it made no difference at all. Overall I have been disapointed with Montane clothing.

If you have to buy a jacket and then have to waterproof it, what is the point of buying the jacket as a waterproof? I did spray some of the Graingers waterproofer on this jacket but it made no difference at all. Overall I have been disapointed with Montane clothing.

With every waterproof no matter what make its good to re waterproof it after a wash, funny enough I think I used Graingers too the last time I washed it but not the spray the one you stick in with the wash. Overall I've got more than I expected out of Montane weather resistant clothing :smile:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Went to Decathlon and was disappointed with that jacket - for a tenner it would have been great as an emergency rain jacket if it hadn't been so badly cut - the back comes really low down your bum but the front was massively spacious in a way that suggested it had been designed for middle-aged Frenchmen who had been eating too much foie gras. You would be riding with a big bunch of wet material scrunching up on the tops of your thighs.

The Polaris Aqualite jacket looks snug fitting - how small does it roll up? I know Polaris gear is good.

Top Bottom