Recommend a really lightweight merino base layer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I suspect my smelly Helly is causing me problems with itchy skin due to sweat build up. When the weather is really cool I will start using a thick merino base layer but that's too warm for this time of year.

Is there a merino equivalent to the Helly Hansen lifa top, really thin and lightweight? Preferably in white.

Leodis

Veteran
The ones Blacks sell are decent, I have one of their Technicals/Peter Storm I use for fell walking and cycling as well as a Icebreaker one I love but not as thick.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I suspect my smelly Helly is causing me problems with itchy skin due to sweat build up. When the weather is really cool I will start using a thick merino base layer but that's too warm for this time of year.

Is there a merino equivalent to the Helly Hansen lifa top, really thin and lightweight? Preferably in white.

Not merino but I got one of these the other day -> http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m3b0s143p13746/ENDURA-Translite-Short-Sleeve-Base-Layer-2013 not used it in anger yet but seems ok. I bought it for the warmer weather as my Endura Ba Ba is a bit thick for the warmer weather.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
That Endura Translite looks very sililar to my Helly. I'm loking for something in a natural fabric but thin for Spring and Autumn use.

depends on your finances, but both ice-breaker and smartwool do different thicknesses of merino wool. Icebreaker in particular go down to a 'summer' rating of 150gms which is nice and cool when hot, and warm enough (for me) for autumn. Summer kit is currently on sale in many of the outdoor/hiking companies and it will last for years and years (some of mine is over 10 years old and still going strong) if you look after it and keep moths away from it.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Skins compression base layer works well for me

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Rapha base layers for me.
don't say that word " Rapha" you'll be accused of being a millionaire playboy or a team sky rider like i was

we are not allowed to wear anything like this type of gear - we have to shop at sports direct, decathlon or mountain wharehouse in the cheap and cheerful selection

we also all have to ride triban b'twin 3 with marathon plus tyres with racks and mudguards - no super fandangled bikes allowed in this forum

Rant over

i bought one of the aldi 100% merino base layers late last year - does that make me half way between the sportsdirect mob and the millionaire playboys?

all I can say is that it is great, warm in cold weather - cool when its warmer late evening

Top Bottom