Recommend a small, flexible "emergency" lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi,

I've had a couple of these retractable locks from EBC. They are small and light and are great to secure the bike while I nip into an ice-cream shop. I also use one to lock the panniers to the bike when I do my shopping. The bike itself is locked with a D-lock.

But both of the ones I've had have failed quite quickly - when trying to lock the bike up I can't push the fitting into the lock. So despite being very useful they're disappointing in that they don't last long.

So I'm looking for something similar - long, light, easy to use. I know they won't be very secure - the D-lock is for that when I need it.

Thanks

Anne

rusky

CC Addict
budget?

I got the Abus Winner885 for £16.99 but can't find it at that price now, it seems to have gone up to about £20.

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6723

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have you tried a can of 3-in-1? A quick lube of the lock and the key might well work wonders.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks all. I popped in to our local hardware shop on the off chance this morning and found something similar to the Albus one - by Squire Locks and only £10.99. It's a bit heavier than I wanted but...

And yes, I had tried lubing the others one. It didn't help.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

I still have them other locks laying around you can have Anne ... if you're there on Sunday I'll drop them off :thumbsup:

Thanks Norm, I'd forgotten about those.

I should be there Sunday - from about 10. Hope the weather is kind to the riders.:sun:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

An update on the Squires Lock I bought.

It has a ten year guarantee and lasted exactly two weeks! I went to unlock it and the entire locking mechanism fell out into my hand.

I e-mailed Squires on Saturday and haven't yet had a response. So it's gone back to the shop I bought it from and I've got my money back.

On this basis I wouldn't be recommending this brand :angry:

Hi,

I've had a couple of these retractable locks from EBC. They are small and light and are great to secure the bike while I nip into an ice-cream shop. I also use one to lock the panniers to the bike when I do my shopping. The bike itself is locked with a D-lock.

But both of the ones I've had have failed quite quickly - when trying to lock the bike up I can't push the fitting into the lock. So despite being very useful they're disappointing in that they don't last long.

So I'm looking for something similar - long, light, easy to use. I know they won't be very secure - the D-lock is for that when I need it.

Thanks

Anne
Glad its not just me, I'm finding mine right pernickety of late. I've sprayed through the red straw that comes with wd-40 into the the mechanism both where you insert the lock and the keyhole and it seems to be working like new again hopefully that works long term.

Fiona N

Veteran
I have one of these. Ideal for when your nipping into a shop or stopping at a cafe

I've got an older version (>5 years) - they're about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. Nifty thing - light and convenient enough to just pop into a tool bag or back pocket.

I find the plug end does tend to corrode a bit (Al) making it difficult to push into the hole. Is this the problem with the EBC one? If so, I find a bit of TLC in the form of WD40 sprayed in the hole and a bit of Li grease smeared on the plug from time to time do wonders.

Glad its not just me, I'm finding mine right pernickety of late. I've sprayed through the red straw that comes with wd-40 into the the mechanism both where you insert the lock and the keyhole and it seems to be working like new again hopefully that works long term.

Touch wood 24h's on that seems to have done the trick, I'd almost go as far as saying it now works better than it ever has :becool:

Top Bottom