Recommend me a chain link extractor, please......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

Have decided I really ought to have one of these in my toolkit, and perhaps more importantly in my pack that I carry for emergency repairs. so can the oracle recommend me one?

As ever, thanks in advance for the sage advice.

Mr Pig

It doesn't really matter, they all do pretty much the same thing. I have a fairly cheap one in my bag, works just fine. The best idea is to carry a quick link and if the chain fails just pop the broken link out and clip the link in.

Finish line Chain Pup (with handle removed to save weight :biggrin: ) in the bag, which has never been used in 15 years. And a VAR in the workshop with a Park as backup for the rare occasions the VAR doesn't cut it. The VAR is a bit of a blunt weapon, really fast for everyday use but not delicate enough for very posh chains.

Chains don't break if you treat them right.

Mr Pig

mickle said:
a Topeak Chainbot.

That's really cool. How much do they cost?

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

Cubist said:
Fat Spanner Pro Link. Go to http://www.carandcycle.net/www.carandcycle.net/info.php?p=11 and scroll down. Lovely little piece of kit. Less than a tenner, and sort of round and cute. I have used it a couple of times in the garage on old chains that needed springcleaning. Get a handful of SRAM powerlinks while you're at it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice - so much choice. Might end up getting the crank brothers multi tool one cos it will be easy less to carry around.

These "SRAM powerlink" thingies - will they work on any chain? I don't know the make of my chain but it is a chain for and 8 speed rear sprocket. Will these SRAM thingies work on this chain?

barq

SoulOnIce said:
These "SRAM powerlink" thingies - will they work on any chain? I don't know the make of my chain but it is a chain for and 8 speed rear sprocket. Will these SRAM thingies work on this chain?

Yeah, just make sure you get the 8 speed version (9 speed will be too narrow).

Top Bottom