Recommend me a coffee grinder.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm looking for something that will turn beans into a fine powder.

I don't mind if it's electric or manual, and hopefully no more than £30.

What should I buy?

subaqua

What’s the point

Rezillo

TwoSheds
A little bit over your budget but it is a burr grinder, which gives a more even size than blade grinders. In theory, this should make coffee less bitter but we didn't notice much difference. However, once you set the size, that's all you have to do, no faffing about guessing how long to switch it on for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM

We had one although we eventually bit the bullet and got one of these:

http://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/catalogue/artisan-burr-grinder-5kcg100-859740115000/product-en.htm

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I've got the same one as subaqua, it's ok. I think I'd go for the Krups that Rezillo linked to if I was shopping now though. Burr grinders are much nicer.

I went through 3 sub £30 grinders within weeks of purchase of each one (each one returned and refunded) and eventually gave up and bought a Gaggia MDF which I used for years until I bought a bean to cup machine - sorry if that's not really what you wanted to hear though...

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I went through 3 sub £30 grinders within weeks of purchase of each one (each one returned and refunded) and eventually gave up and bought a Gaggia MDF which I used for years until I bought a bean to cup machine - sorry if that's not really what you wanted to hear though...
It's not, but having had a cheap blade grinder in the past it's what I was expecting.

Thanks all. :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You have to go for a burr grinder, they are simply better and do exactly what you need them to & give a much nicer brew. We have a Krupps one too, £30 a couple of year ago. Different grind sizes and it just works. Can't recommend it highly enough

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I was given one of these analogue ones as a prez 20 odd years ago, still working fine.

image.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've got the really old cranked one with open bowl on top, but it's on loan to the church for grinding some sorts of incense. (Not frankincense, mind, as it is a resin, and will gum up the works.)

Top Bottom