Recommend me a decent road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Since I am getting a little fitter these days and lycra deserves legs like mine I thought i might get me one of those flash roadie bikes that whizz past me each day.......I cant afford one just yet but I am going to try and aim to get one asap....my Galaxy is cool for touring and stuff but I want one of those flash bikes so I can pose around town and pick up women:rolleyes::blush:....

I spent £650 on my Galaxy and the Mrs noticed but didn't totally loose it...so i reckon i could get away with around £6-700 ish this time. Should I buy new, or second hand?

I'll be using it to do my dailey loops. It needs to be cool, and strong as I still weigh in on the heavier side of 18 stone...also it'll need to have a large frame size option as I am 6' 4" tall.

I saw one of those torquoise bianchi's the other day...they look very cool but are they any good?....and is torquoise a girls colour:biggrin:

graham56

Guru
What you need is those coloured tassels for the end of the drops, you`ll have no bother pulling:biggrin:

stevenb

Ahhh...they classic Celeste Blue Bianchi's. Infact I think they are perfect for you. They are robust too. For that money you could buy a Bianchi Via Nirone with carbon seat stays and a taigra/sora or campag mairage groupset. They use the new sloping top tube frames from the 2006 and older models. I think they are very classy. That price range Bianchi may use the Ambrosio wheelset which are very strong and robust.
My 2p.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I do like th elook of those bianchi's....I am not clear on th espec's though...I work on the assumption that I get 'more better' stuff for more money in general....

....I looked at the frame sizes and it seems a 61 is the biggest.....I ride a 64 at the moment so i am wondering if I'll notice the difference?

Pete

As an aside - how do you assess the frame size when it's a sloping top tube? Do you measure from the B/B centre, to where the top of the seat tube would have been if it were a level top tube?

Another question: what's 18st in Kg? OK, OK, was just being lazy, it's about 114Kg. Bear in mind that some of the snazzier road frames (all-carbon and the like) have a weight limit. Not something you're likely to come against at your budget, but might be well to ask. I don't suppose the frame will automatically snap if you go over the limit, but it might mess up the warranty...

I have two Bianchis, one an elderly (1999) steel one which is my main workhorse, and the other, much newer, a relatively cheap ML3 which I ride and keep in France (and hasn't done many miles yet). The steel one feels really comfortable to ride, it has the right amount of springiness to it and I've got really used to it over the years, albeit it's a bit heavier than the equivalent Al (or Carbon) frame would be. There are some minor build quality issues, the brazings for the cable guides snapped off, etc., most of the drive train and the wheels have been replaced over the years, it looks battered and shows its age, but it still goes. The Alu one feels like a fairly run-of-the-mill off the shelf road bike, which is what it is: I haven't done the miles on it to judge whether I really feel at home with it.

On the other hand, my son is on his second Bianchi (also at about the price bracket you're looking at). The first one he managed to trash totally in about two years. I'm going to collect if from his place in Scotland in a few weeks time, and take a good look at it and see how much is recoverable. I might manage to get it roadworthy as a hack. His newer Bianchi is still going OK, but suffered some damage which needed fixing early on (not under warranty :blush:). I wonder how long it will last.

The only other road frames I've had have been 531 steel frames, one Pennine (decades ago, now defunct) and one Holdsworth, which I've still got (I use it for shopping). If you're used to the Galaxy you might want to stay with 531 frame maybe?

Pete

Incidentally Bianchis now come in all sorts of colours, not just turquoise (my steel one is turquoise though xx(:blush: ).

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I think I'd be ok with a different frame style, I adapt easy these days. The weight limit is important, but I will be trying to reduce the weight this winter on my galaxy. I'd rathe rhave a aluminium or carbon frame...I already have one steel frame and i'd want this bike to be as lighter.

I think what will drive th edecision eventually will be th eframe size and weight of the various bikes in that price range.

So other than Bianchi...any other makes worth a look?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Watch that weight limit. Friend of mine managed to break an Alu frame at the BB due to a combination of weight/strength. He got it replaced by the manufs but bought a steel Bob Jackson with the resale price of the replacement frame as he didn't want another Alu frame breaking incident.

Big chap = heavier chunkier Alu/carbon frame. So a steel one may be competitive in weight if not be even lighter..........

stevenb

You coudl go for a 2nd hand bike BTFB....someone would be selling a Reynolds tubing lugged frame I'd say...and I anticipate they would be stronger than an alu frame????
Maybe even a 2nd hand Condor bike...they use Reynolds tubing. :blush:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Since I am getting a little fitter these days

Ahem...in the context of posting a Tdf time on a Galaxy (spen is just working out how to hang himself with his belt and the bog door handle) this does sound like an understatement.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..erm...well...yeah...welll...you see....erm...hmmm.....there was a slight cock up on the clock front....erm...not my fault you'll understand...erm...hmm....I posted my feeble excuse in the other thread....

Top Bottom