Recommend [me] a hedge...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi all
I need to plant a hedge. There is currently a cheap and nasty post and rail fence, about 3 ft high. I don't intend removing this, just planting the hedge quite close to it so that eventually it will be lost in the hedge.

I don't want a huge barrier - 3 to 4 ft high will be plenty. I quite fancy something that flowers, and possibly a mix of maybe 3 plants - an evergreen or two and possibly a deciduous.

I quite fancy fuchsia, apart from the fact that they usually look like dead sticks right through spring.

The location gets full sun for much of the day. Haven't tested the soil, but it is limestone country.

Will be consulting the RHS plant finder as well - just thought I'd see if anyone had any recommendations.

(And yes, I did try posting this in GardenChat, but no-one replied! :cry:)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rosa rugosa?
This one is used a lot in urban and Sainsbury's car parks!!!
https://www.best4hedging.co.uk/elaeagnus-ebbingei-hedge-plants-pp41
A plain hedge but superb scent.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
An unorthodox hedge that I have seen (possibly in Bishopston), was from Mexican Orange Blossum. Evergreen, scented flowers and the foliage is too if you brush up against it. I had a shrub that I regularly pruned to keep it in check at my old house, and a cutting from it has now established after two years. I've thought about using it for a hedge myself. Once established it grows about 6 inches or a foot each year and I just used to prune it once a year.

How long a hedge? And how long do you want to wait for it to be hedge like?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Just tried looking on street view for where I thought I had seen the hedge, and no sign of that one but there was a ceanothus one, but it would be darker, the Mexican orange Blossum reflects a lot of light as the leaves are shiny.

Mrs M

Guru
Euonymus, spindle, grows well, hardy and likes shade, part shade or full sun, looks good too :thumbsup:
Laurel also, nice looking plant and grows well.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Isn't this a Privet matter?

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd like it to grow reasonably quickly.

Good point about poisonous yew - there may be brats around so best not have that.
Rosa rugosa looks a possibility too.
Thanks all...

Personally I believe you should branch out and go for a mixed hedgerow because the root of the problem is you are thinking single species. Of course I will leaf you to decide, I'm sycamore jokes anyway.
Not at all helpful and designing gardens is my job, pm me if you need any help [seriously].

ayceejay

Guru
Lonicera Nitida is hardy, fast growing and flowering without being straggly oh, and cheap. It is also fragrant and attracts bees.
Yew is expensive and slow growing but makes the best pf all hedges.
Rosa Rugosa is known in the trade as the litter catching bush ts straggly and looks like sh*t in the winter.
Beech is excellent - trim at the end of August.
Privet is fast growing requires frequent trimming and has flowers that smell like cat pee.

Top Bottom