Recommend me a mobile phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I'm looking for a new mobile phone to replace my old and tired Sony Ericsson T610.

I don't need anything too fancy (i.e. don't suggest an iPhone) but I would like it to be of decent build quality.

I would like to have a decent camera on it of at least 3mp with flash (ideally with a lens cover) and a music player but apart from that I'm not too bothered.

I'm on PAYG (T-mobile) as I don't use it too much and I'm looking to spend around £100.

I'm currently eyeing up the Sony Ericsson C510 which I think fits the bill quite well, but the one thing putting me off is the headphones/socket.
You have to use the supplied h/phones which plug into the side with a bulky plug. This probably wouldn't be a problem if it plugged into the bottom but it looks ugly and unwieldy, but it may the comprise I have to make.

Some Nokias have a 3.5mm jack but then they don't have a very good camera.

Any suggestions?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1 for SE. Usable, well made, rugged. (Do phones come with flash now? Blimey.)

I have a K850i - chosen on the grounds that a) it was free and :angry: it has a 5Mp camera which delivers good images + video (for when I happy-slap other people's bikes :blush:) My Canon Ixus, which is always near to hand, is only 5Mp...
I want a simple phone - always. Obviously the world is not yet ready for simple so I chose something with the most useful thing - for me. Apparently it has music, WAP, WEP, Drib 'n Drab, Walk & Talk, cheese and onion etc but most of all it is a camera which I can make phone calls with. Battery life is ok but not as good as Nokia IMO...that may have changed by now - it has been a year.
The ear plugging-in bit is an obling-ish plug at the base of the apparatus - no jack.

So, Sony ok - not music to your ears, but ok.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
I've been loyal to SE for about the past 5 phones. The headphone socket has never been a problem for me, especially if they ship the phone with the split lead that allows you to use a normal headphone plug.

The K770i would do all that you want.

The headphones shouldn't really be a problem, I can always get a set of bluetooth ones if I don't like the plug.

The K770 is another one I was looking at, but the C510 is a bit slimmer I think and sexier :tongue: . I don't buy phones very often so I don't mind splashing the extra £30 for a few improvements as long as it lasts as long as my T610.

I have a K850i - chosen on the grounds that a) it was free and B) it has a 5Mp camera which delivers good images + video (for when I happy-slap other people's bikes :evil:)

That does look good, but I can't find it on payg without spending £200+

cheese and onion
Better keep it away from Davy then :biggrin:

The Samsung E250 is reliable phone

But only a 0.3mp camera. I think I can draw better than that :smile:

Did I mention I am really picky?

I've been looking at phones for months, but now it's my b'day present to myself.

I think it's either the C510 for £100 or C902 for £160 but I don't think I'm worth the extra £60 (and I've got bike bits to buy as well :biggrin: )

Did I mention I'm really tight when it comes to spending money? :biggrin:

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
I can't, I'm afraid of commitment B)

Anyway I have prised the card from the dusty wallet and bought the C510. Phone should be with me tomorrow.

I'm now going to lie down for a few minutes :wacko:

bonj2

not an N95, its battery life is shite

Aperitif said:
I have a K850i - chosen on the grounds that a) it was free and :laugh: it has a 5Mp camera which delivers good images + video (for when I happy-slap other people's bikes ;)) My Canon Ixus, which is always near to hand, is only 5Mp...
I want a simple phone - always. Obviously the world is not yet ready for simple so I chose something with the most useful thing - for me. Apparently it has music, WAP, WEP, Drib 'n Drab, Walk & Talk, cheese and onion etc but most of all it is a camera which I can make phone calls with. Battery life is ok but not as good as Nokia IMO...that may have changed by now - it has been a year.
The ear plugging-in bit is an obling-ish plug at the base of the apparatus - no jack.

So, Sony ok - not music to your ears, but ok.

I'd have to say avoid the k850i unfortunately. I've had loads of problems with mine and I know others have as well. It's the soft keys, just under the screen that are the problem. They are well know for causing problems. Mine eventually stopped working making the phone a fancy looking brick. I am getting close to renewing just now and I will be phoning up vodafone and telling them how I am desperate to leave them unless the give me a Samsung Omnia for either free or very cheap. The threat of leaving usually does the trick! ;)

You can avoid mine then Jimmy! ;) My phone suffers massive abuse (puts up with me speaking into it for a start) and has been to the repairers once - total software failure or something. It gets a regular dose of cyclist's back pocket and sundry fumbles onto the tarmac...otherwise physically ok. :laugh:
(You didn't get a deep-fried one did you Magnatom? I know what tickles the fancy North of the Border...) :smile:

I seem to have written a similar thing in support of Conti Gatorskins (not that I have ever tried to make a call on one) - never having p*nct*res etc. Suffice to say I now use Marathon+ to commute...uh oh!:sad:

Aperitif said:
You can avoid mine then Jimmy! :sad: My phone suffers massive abuse (puts up with me speaking into it for a start) and has been to the repairers once - total software failure or something. It gets a regular dose of cyclist's back pocket and sundry fumbles onto the tarmac...otherwise physically ok. :laugh:
(You didn't get a deep-fried one did you Magnatom? I know what tickles the fancy North of the Border...) :smile:

I seem to have written a similar thing in support of Conti Gatorskins (not that I have ever tried to make a call on one) - never having p*nct*res etc. Suffice to say I now use Marathon+ to commute...uh oh!:smile:

Oh dear, I have Gatorskins!;)

Top Bottom