Recommend me a pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Since my mini-pump seems unable to get anything over 30psi into the tyre, can someone recommend me a suitable pump that I can carry in my rucksack on my commutes ? Preferrably bigger than a mini-pump and easy and quick to get me up to 80psi.

I'm tempted to go with a Cyclaire since it appears to make an easy and quick job of it.

Cheers

wafflycat

Go for the Cyclaire+ rather than the other one, as the Cyclaire+ goes up to 120psi. Even girlie me who has nada upper body strength can use the Cyclaire+ easily.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Topeak Road Morph G - lighter than the Cyclaire, slimmer, didn't make my hand ache, and will do road tyre pressures easy. I've used both that and the Cyclaire, and prefer the road morph (and would certainly choose it over the Cyclaire for pumping a tyre up from 0 psi to 120 - both pumps are capable of acheiving the pressure, but as mentioned in threads passim the vibration of the Cyclaire makes my hands ache).

Got mine for £20 ish all in from Racing2Wheels on eBay.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Hairy Jock said:
The Topeak Road Morph G is even recommended as a Valentine’s Day gift, yous just have to find a valentine Goo...

Damn, I knew there'd be a catch.... :thumbsdown:

(I'm sworn off women now. Divorce is too expensive to experience again :tongue: )

p.s. I ordered a Cycleair yesterday afternoon. If it's no good I'll sell it and get a Road Morph !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bah, do what I did and "accidentally" buy a Road Morph anyways :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Ah well... now that's maybe a plan, John !

Cyclaire has arrived. I didn't realise that it would sound like someone taking a chainsaw to a log - what a racket ! My downstairs neighbour must have wondered what the heck was going on. It is very easy to pump up the tyre with it though - the effort required is very small.

alfablue

Yes the Cyclaire is noisy but easily achieves the pressures, got a road morph as well, can't decide which I like most!

Gary D

This is worth a look.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360032759&N=YPK Nitro Sport Pump

It appears to be the equivalent of a Road Morph. It is a tadge lighter but doesn't have the gauge. I have just got one and it seems fine. Only slight downside is that you have to use the brass screw on adaptor for Presta valves. That sits in a recess on the lever for the valve head, but if you lose it you're goosed.
Can't compare it to the RM though because I have never used one - but at the special offer price I couldn't resist it :wacko:

Gary.

alfablue

looks bl**dy good for the price, lets hope it performs over time - let us know if you get any "in the field" experience.

ak88

Thats a bargain price - I bought a mini morph last year which is good up to 85 PSI - too much effort after that. All for 25 quid. The YPK is a bargain - Gary D - whats it like at high pressure?

Gary D

I only got it today so haven't used it in a "real" situation yet.
However, I topped up the tyre on the bike in the garage and then checked it using my track pump which has a gauge. It was about 90-95psi which didn't take too much effort.
If I get to use it out on the road, I will report back. If this weekend is like the last one (2 blowouts) then that could be sooner than I would wish :blush: :biggrin:.

Gary.

Top Bottom