Recommend me a Rucksack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Thanks Norm, very informative and useful. There is a Go Outdoors store around the corner so will use that to establish comfortable style etc.
:thumbsup: Oh, and another thing when testing (although you might feel a bit of a wally) is put something heavy in them and bend over as if you were on the bike. Many 15l-25l sacks seem to be more "bags with straps" and you don't get the more technical fittings or the wide waist belts of the 40l+ sacks.

Air-flow backs (many companies do similar) are more worthwhile on a bike, IMO, as you are moving faster so the air gets a better chance to circulate.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The Deuter Bike1 also has an airflow back (I forgot to mention that)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Just bought a Deuter Speed Lite 15 for £28 having read around this.

I'd have preferred the Lowe one but there are price limits, even for me :ohmy:

doctornige

I used to sell rucksacks in a climbing shop in Aberdeen. We basically swore by Berghaus, Karrimor (less so), and Lowe. Much depends on purpose. If it's a trekking pack with lots of pockets, Karrimor always did that well. If you wanted a climbing pack with no side pockets, then Berghaus and Lowe tended to be the start points. That said, both my technical climbing packs are Karrimor.

Just make sure it's well made, has durable waterproofing, has a decent back system and is sufficiently light to not add significantly to the load. Personal fit is a bit of an issue, but less so these days with adjustable backs. Everything else is colour.

doctornige

Akb, that does not make a ton of sense. The weight is still there if it is strapped to the bike or strapped to you. Panniers lower the centre of gravity, which is generally a Good Thing. As another poster has pointed out, the riding position on a bike alters the geometry of the sack on your back. From the POV of a former rucksack expert, a bike riding position actually obviates all of the back system technology and plonks the pack on your back with no air space and disputes the load through your legs and your arms. Rucksacks are just not designed to be worn like that.

Top Bottom