Recommend me - a tyre to use on the Turbo Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
The old set of Vittoria Rubino's which I've been using on the turbo trainer are now smoother than my head, and it's time to invest in a specific "turbo" tyre to use.

Looking around various websites, the prices vary a lot from around £15 up to £30+ depending on the brand.

I'm a bit tight so don't want to spend a lot, but would I notice any significant difference between a cheap or a more expensive tyre? I probably only do between 1 and 2 hrs on the turbo trainer each week at present, and that will reduce in the summer, so spending lots of money on getting the longest lasting tyre isn't a high priority.

Anybody out there got any views on cheap v expensive?

Thanks

screenman

Legendary Member
We just use worn normal tyres here, and the turbo gets used. My son did 6.5 hours on the turbo and treadmill on Saturday alone about 1/2 the time on each.

arch684

Veteran
I use a continental home trainer tyre. Had it for about 16 months and its still ok and no particles of rubber all over the floor

shadow master

Just buy a mid range ordinary tyre £15 ish,turbo specific tyres are waste of money for an hour or two a week,they may last longer but at twice the price I'd hope so,most trainers have the gel roller anyway so durability and quietness of the turbo specific tyres are not needed,also you can pop out on the bike if the weather improves with an ordinary tyre on.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
We just use worn normal tyres here, and the turbo gets used. My son did 6.5 hours on the turbo and treadmill on Saturday alone about 1/2 the time on each.

They were worn normal tyres I was using, but after several months on the turbo they're now smooth as glass and starting to slip, and I don't have any more old tyres I can use, hence the need to buy something from new.

Just buy a mid range ordinary tyre £15 ish,turbo specific tyres are waste of money for an hour or two a week,they may last longer but at twice the price I'd hope so,most trainers have the gel roller anyway so durability and quietness of the turbo specific tyres are not needed,also you can pop out on the bike if the weather improves with an ordinary tyre on.

That makes sense. I just don't do enough hours on the turbo to justify spending a lot. Cheers :thumbsup:

arch684

Veteran
£15 for a normal tyre and £22 for a continental turbo tyre which will last 3/4 time longer.you do the maths

Hip Priest

Veteran
I use a Vittoria turbo specific tyre. It was quite cheap as I recall, and does the job.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
One mistake I see is people using the tyre to take the load and not the turbo, so it gets hot and wears quickly. Most of the manufactures recommend too much pressure on the back tyre.
In the sessions I run no one has a turbo tyre, no one adjusts the load on the turbo - they are fixed, they just use their gears and a normal tyre that they use on the road as well as the turbo so they don't need to change things around or have spare wheels/bike.

doog

My rear is a cheapo Rubino and its still not worn on the turbo after thousands of miles, even if it was I would ride it to destruction. If it destructed I would stick on a worn road tyre that would probably still give me several years of service

Top Bottom