Recommend me a wheel builder in North West.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee Matthews

Pete Matthews for all your wheel sets, but I would say that!!!

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Another vote for Paul Hewitt from me; I have 5 pairs of wheels from him in the house (3 pairs on my bikes, one pair on the GF's and the final pair in a box and for sale*).
Apart from an issue with my Rohloff (and therefore, not mainstream) wheel, they've all been bomb-proof. The highest mileage pair has probably done 5000 miles in all sorts of weather and over varying terrain.

*I'm not pimping the wheels :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to mull things over but the trouble is I might have to bite the bullet and just get some wheels as the lead times for a custom build may cause me problems, and TBH I can get the same build 'off the peg' as I was going to spec up anyway.

Thanks again, all duly noted :thumbsup:

Geoff Smith's in Bolton
Geoff Smith properly wound me up today. He simply wasn't interested at all. He said he'd do them but he wasn't bothered on way or t'other as he doesn't need the work and he isn't looking for anymore.

Well, long may your good fortunes continue Mr Smith :crazy:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Very strange...I've never experienced that from him whatsoever. Granted he's always busy, but never known him to be like that :sad:
Mmmm. He didn't want to know the other week when I asked if he'd fit a BB30 adapter sleeve for me.

Evans/Leisure Lakes/Wheelbase would have done it, but I was in Geoff's and asked him, he said he had fit a few, (he even sells the FSA one), and that it's a simple job, but he also said he couldn't do mine as he was too busy and had too many bikes in, [pointed to all the bikes around the back].

The trouble was most of them were out of his window as he was having new shutters installed!

In the end I did it myself and yes, it was easy and I saved myself about £20 by doing it.

He knows I do most things myself anyway, but I'm meeting a real reluctance in him to do bits and bobs. I know he's knocking on and probably counting the days until he retires, but even so.

Judderz

He also said he couldn't do mine as he was too busy and had too many bikes in, [pointed to all the bikes around the back].

He knows I do most things myself anyway, but I'm meeting a real reluctance in him to do bits and bobs. I know he's knocking on and probably counting the days until he retires, but even so.

There's always a sign in the window that says he isn't doing repairs, but everytime I've been in and asked if he could do something, he always says ignore the sign and he'll be happy to do it.

I've no idea how old he is, but he's been there since I was a kid (I'm 40 now)....maybe he just doesn't like you :P

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
maybe he just doesn't like you :P
You may be onto something there. I actually tried getting my mate to go with me, (sad I know!), but he always seems to get damn good deals but he was too busy :sad:

No matter, the world keeps spinning, and I won't cut my nose off to spite my face by falling out with GS, there's no point and I will no doubt need him at some point or another ;)

Judderz

Maybe just stressed with the new shutters, not installed, let him down etc...Maybe got a puncture on the way in...or he's just a grumpy f****r today...who knows :P

But as I said, never had any probs with him, always helpful, always willing to give advice.
So whats your decision on new wheels?

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Where you getting them?
Probably Wiggle. Price is right, they're in stock, delivery is great IME, and I've never had a bad wheel from them either and I've bought two other wheelsets and a rear wheel from them in the past :thumbsup:

If time was not an issue I'd have them built, but I can't wait 2-3 weeks. (not sure how long I thought they'd take when I started the thread tbh :whistle:)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I asked one of my LBS's to source and fit a headset for a tapered fork for me. The guy who I know quite well in a professional capacity in my job phoned me back and suggested I took the bike to another shop as he was far to busy for the forseable future. I took it to another LBS I know well and they sourced and fitted the new headset no myther. I know who will get my business in the future. I get the feeling sometimes that if you haven't bought the entire bike from some local bike shops they don't give a monkeys. Their loss.....

Top Bottom