Recommend me a wheel builder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobbyp

After somebody stole my bieks a few weeks ago I'm left needing a pair of nice but not racing wheels for the summer bike. I've always favoured handbuilts and am thinking along the lines of plain Ultegra/Open Pro 32 spoke jobs.

Anybody recommend me a decent builder or want to tell me to look at something else?

Pedalling Pete

It might help if we knew what part of the country you were in!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Paul Hewitt does mail order and from personal experience with wheels he has built for mtb, road race and touring, I have found them extremely realiable.

I think the combination you have in mind makes for a really decent wheel, which is only bettered by some of the factory built offerings, once you spend in excess of £450 or so. I have several Open Pro / Chorus wheels from Paul that have never required attention for the entire life of the rim, despite fairly heavy audax , training use and events like Paris Roubaix.

OP
OP
B

bobbyp

I'm in Reading. Obvious local choices would be AW cycles or Condor but I was looking for other recommendations. Paul Hewitt looks good, think I'll give them a call.

longers

Legendary Member
itisaboutthebike said:
Depends where you are. I know a chap in the Peak District - builds superb wheels and has done for many years.

Who would that be please?
I will be needing a pair of wheels before Christmas.:biggrin:

stevenb

Does Dave Hind still make wheels?
His prices were competitive.
I found Merlin cycles to be competitive too.
I bought myself a pair of Deore hub/Mavic XM117 rims with stainless spokes handbuilt for £50...perfect for my commuter slick tyres to go onto. :biggrin:

alfablue

stevenb said:
Does Dave Hind still make wheels?
His prices were competitive.
I found Merlin cycles to be competitive too.
I bought myself a pair of Deore hub/Mavic XM117 rims with stainless spokes handbuilt for £50...perfect for my commuter slick tyres to go onto. :biggrin:
Dave Hinde could possibly be a very, very bad choice - see this

Merlin, on the other hand, have always given me excellent service and good wheel builds at low prices.

OP
OP
B

bobbyp

Thanks folks. Think I'll call harry rowland and paul hewitt and see what they each say.

Was almost tempted by the Dave hinde advert in last weeks comic so thanks for the warning alfablue!

It would be worth trying Rikki (Ricky, Ricki....can't remember how he spells it) at AW Cycles. Built me a pair of wheels, Open Pro on Veloce hubs, about 2 years ago. Perfectly true ever since despite being treated relatively badly (sh1te roads, panniers for commuting etc).
I wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

Top Bottom