Recommend me a windows tablet please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
What's the quality of the batteries like?

Like said, it is pot luck. You factor that into the price.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Decent price, but needs a hack to run Windows 11 !
Strangely, you can buy it on ebay in 'good' for £140 c/w W11 Pro.

Do I really need 11, I thought it was a free upgrade as well, the laptop that I'm currently writing this on has 11 22H2 as a free upgrade ready to install?

I saw that one, twice as much memory as well, it's just the seller that I'm not convinced by.

albion

Guru
Just Microsoft trying to help out manufacturers sell newer models. The 2 core ones need the hack.
However, fasr slower Atom CPU based ones do not need the hack.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I did wonder about the storage at first and wanted 256, but looking at my current tablet it's only got 64g which has about 40 used, and an SD card with 5g taken up.

Atom x5 1.44ghz, and 4g ram, it does pretty much everything I need as I've got a laptop for main PC duties, unfortunately I'm struggling to justify going any higher. 😂

Dadam

I'd not consider an Atom cpu these days for Windows. Or RAM less than 8Gb or storage less than 256Gb. Assuming this is for general use and you're not going to be putting everything in the cloud or on external cards.

I did wonder about the storage at first and wanted 256, but looking at my current tablet it's only got 64g which has about 40 used, and an SD card with 5g taken up.

Atom x5 1.44ghz, and 4g ram, it does pretty much everything I need as I've got a laptop for main PC duties, unfortunately I'm struggling to justify going any higher. 😂

I was about to ask is the tablet going to be your only device, used in laptop mode for work or home admin and in tablet mode for content consumption, but you've answered that. Also the storage, but even so I'd feel really constrained with 128gb

I'm not really a fan of tablets for Windows. Win 8 with its clumsy tile UI was aimed at mobile but badly compromised the desktop (mouse/trackpad and keyboard) experience. Win 10 went back the other way, optimised for laptop/desktops.

A previous place I worked issued everyone Surfaces (unless like me you specifically opted for a laptop). A decision taken by people whose jobs are mostly attending meetings. Most people who had to actually produce stuff found the tablet form factor compromised the windows experience too much due to screen size and keyboard, unless you used external peripherals etc.

As it's not your only device, do you really need it with Windows? Android and Apple are much better optimised for a tablet experience.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just had a look around and average seems to be about £60 for a battery, not sure what labour costs would be.
so long as it's a proper, new battery... every 'genuine' replacement battery I've had off ebay (for phones and laptop) has been as bad as the old battery i was replacing. :sad:
Have you looked at CEX? They give a 2 year warranty (not sure on the battery) and no hassle returns within a certain timescale.
You could also try AV forums classifieds, lots of techies who love their kit
CEX would only offer me a credit note and not a cash refund when i tried to return an item. I wasn't happy!

Dadam

CEX would only offer me a credit note and not a cash refund when i tried to return an item. I wasn't happy!

It was a few years ago when I traded something to them but they gave me the option, either a credit note, or cash for less money. They may have changed their policy though

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
The more I look the more I might be swayed by android now, just looking at my current windows tablet and there's a lot of pre installed apps that I never use taking up memory, so with a tablet I reckon 64gb should be enough for what I want it for.

I thought of this -

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Tab-M10-Plus-3rd/dp/B0B1MLGQM9/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1695213777&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A74863001031%2Cp_85%3A20930949031%2Cp_89%3ALenovo&rnid=1632651031&rps=1&s=computers&sr=1-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.cc223b57-2b86-485c-a85e-6431c1f06c86

but then stumbled on this, only android 11 installed on it and not 12 though - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1136210?clickPR=plp:5:20

The lack of a clip on keyboard is probably something I can live with.

Top Bottom