Recommend me a windproof jacket/jersey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I'm looking for a tight fitting, race cut, windproof jacket/jersey. Preferably with rear pockets and that I won't freeze to death in if it gets wet. I love the look of the Assos Airjack 851 but it's out of my price range.
It also needs to come in a nice small size as I have a 34 inch chest. This is proving to be the real sticking point!
Any ideas?

Noodley

Joe said:
I'm looking for a tight fitting, race cut, windproof jacket/jersey. Preferably with rear pockets and that I won't freeze to death in if it gets wet. I love the look of the Assos Airjack 851 but it's out of my price range.
It also needs to come in a nice small size as I have a 34 inch chest. This is proving to be the real sticking point!
Any ideas?

Joe, Edinburgh Bike Co-op had Assos 851 jackets at half price in their sale. They maybe have some left? It was never listed on the web page but if you give them a call they'll be able to tell you if there is any stock left.

dub-no-bass

I've got a Gore Vento windstopper jacket, which isn't totally waterproof but it does cut out all wind, to the extent that it's too warm to wear it on most days. Since Christmas, though, it's been perfect with a merino baselayer underneath.

yello

I like that comobike sight. I was excited for a moment because I thought they might have Santini stuff!

Anyone using any Jeantex kit from Foxster? It is cheap but looks to cater for the 'relaxed fit leisure market' (if that makes sense). Not sure of quality though - are their bibs, for instance, built for 3 hours in the saddle?

Monty Dog

Gore stuff is probably too big if you like a neat fit - I've a Gore Tool in small but it's a big baggy compared to Assos fit. Look at Briko clothing - it's a nice close fit and wiggle doing special offers at the moment.

robjs

I owned the Gore Cosmo jacket (Wiggle Link) up until a couple of weeks ago - when the stitching started coming undone around the cuffs. For an expensive jacket - this wasn't really on, so I took it back.

Few comments about the Gore - the arms aren't breathable at all, and although it has armpit zips, they just don't provide good enough ventilation. There's also barely any ventilation around the bottom of the back. The pocket in the back is pretty OK, but isn't great, and there's only one.

The jacket is definitely wind proof and did water-resistant OK - I found that up until ~90 minutes into a ride in a reasonable rain shower you were dry, after that, water started to soak up the arms through the cuffs.

As the poster above me says, the Gore stuff is fairly baggy - I took a small in the Cosmo jacket and it was fairly flush, but not very "grippy". The hem tightening isn't very convenient.

The Gore is a nice jacket, but I just didn't find that it worked with how I was riding, so after I returned it, I got the Assos Airjack 851. First off, it's a completely different fit to the Gore, feels a lot more like a jersey than a jacket.

I found that it's much more breathable around the back (having a lycra back, and back of arms) meaning that my temperature feels a lot more regulated. The hem at the bottom is elasticated, so it stays down nicely. The pockets at the back are really just as you'd expect on a jersey.

Today, it rained whilst I was wearing the Assos - it's good for water resistance where the windproof fabric is. I rode for ~1hr in the rain, and then got caught in a massive downpour with it on. I found that it was about the same as the Gore in terms of water-resistance.

It's definitely a slimmer fit though - so if you don't like figure-hugging clothing then it's probably not the best.

I'd say that's definitely worth the extra ~£20 over the Gore though.

robjs

Tynan: Yeah, I just really didn't get on with it. I hadn't researched, and was freezing out on the bike, so I'd ended up going to Evans and picking something up. I was wishing that I'd researched it much better.

The Assos jacket is great though!

Top Bottom