Recommend me a workshop toolkit for my employer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
I have the opportunity to purchase for my employer a small workshop toolkit, stand and truing jig, all to be used by the organisations cycle commuters.

As well as all the usual, I think that we should have cone spanners, cassette removal tools (various), BB cup removal tool(s), good cable cutters, crank puller(s). Must work with shimano, campag and other leading manufacturers. Also chain cleaning bath device (I know, I know!)

I have a budget of up to £150.

Also need a collapsible workshop stand, and truing jig. Budget for each about £60.

So which would you good folks go for?

ta in anticipation

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't think your budget is anywhere big enough. With that budget I would concentrate on a few good quality basis tools that could be used to get a cyclist home rather than try and rebuild entire bikes.

Decent track pump, tire levers, Allen keys, puncture repair kit, 15mm spanner and chain tool, would all be on my list.

Perhaps a range of cheap cone spanners if budget allows.

snorri

Legendary Member
You might have to consider security.....

Attachments

• 2010_0712eidebarge280210.JPG
    2010_0712eidebarge280210.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 33

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What on earth do cycle commuters need all that stuff for.

Surely all they need a line of track pumps, some tyre levers, a patch kit and a selection of spare brake pads and cables.

Anything worse than that can be dropped into a local shop to deal with. I known for sure that my employer would be very disappointed if I spent my working day trueing wheels and removing blocks etc.

I think you are attempting to build your own dream.workshop rather than thinking of what your colleagues actually need.

OP
OP
fatblokish

fatblokish

Guru
What on earth do cycle commuters need all that stuff for.

Surely all they need a line of track pumps, some tyre levers, a patch kit and a selection of spare brake pads and cables.

Anything worse than that can be dropped into a local shop to deal with. I known for sure that my employer would be very disappointed if I spent my working day trueing wheels and removing blocks etc.

I think you are attempting to build your own dream.workshop rather than thinking of what your colleagues actually need.

Not at all. I already have a fine selection of tools, or so I am told.
Cycle commuters, like any other cyclist, occasionally need more than a track pump etc.
Anything more significant could be attended to at the workplace, either during the working day, or more likely before work, during a lunch break, or after work. This was certainly the case at previous employer of mine. It also encouraged those less confident in maintenance to have a go themselves with the support of those more knowledgeable and generally raised the level of interest in all things cycling and the number of those willing to try cycle commuting.

I can't really see any downside...

Anyway, more thoughts on my suggested toolkit please.

vickster

Legendary Member
This ŵas being discussed in another thread, asking about a workplace pump. There is the question of insurance and health and safety to consider when providing tools to workmates who may not have been trained to use them safely

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'd be inclined to agree with @jonny jeez , although if your experience tells you otherwise that's fine. In which case why not use the equipment you had at your previous employer as a starting point.
Certainly at my place of work, where there are a number of cyclists, (there are around 2 dozen racks and a waiting list for spaces), I cannot imagine anyone wanting to tackle anything more than a straight forward fix. As for stuff like chains baths, irrespective of the merits or otherwise of them, the question I would ask is why? As an example of preventative maintenance to show to a new rider fine, in which case bring one from home, but normally wouldn't preventative maintenance would be undertaken before or after your ride.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not at all. I already have a fine selection of tools, or so I am told.
Cycle commuters, like any other cyclist, occasionally need more than a track pump etc.
Anything more significant could be attended to at the workplace, either during the working day, or more likely before work, during a lunch break, or after work. This was certainly the case at previous employer of mine. It also encouraged those less confident in maintenance to have a go themselves with the support of those more knowledgeable and generally raised the level of interest in all things cycling and the number of those willing to try cycle commuting.

I can't really see any downside...

Anyway, more thoughts on my suggested toolkit please.
I think you cant see a down side because you are looking at this from your perspective.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dissing your idea, after all you know your colleagues more than me but I cant think if many (or any) of my colleagues...either work colleagues or cycle commute pals, who would attempt anything more than a puncture, brake block or cable swap...and the cable swap is a stretch, I've ridden home on numerous occasions with a pal in one gear, or with me in one.

I work in a city office, its high pressure, demanding and competitive. I don't have time to work on my bike during the day and after work, I just want to get home.

Its admirable to encourage instruction but would you not be better to canvass opinion and gauge uptake before spending your employers time and money.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would get the basics to start with.If your on a limited budget I would go for a few high quality items rather than compromise by trying to buy everything.
They should all have their own tyre levers and spare tubes .
My list would be something like;

Track pump £35
Cable cutters £15
Cable puller £15
Chain whip £15
Cassette tools £20
Chain Splitter £15
Hex key set £10
Small adjustable £10
Screwdriver set £20

That's the budget gone. Have to have a whip round for a Lidls bike stand £30 or A park tools stand for £120
I would have an odds and sods box for cables pads etc with an honesty box to pay for stuff used.
Im impressed that your employer is up for this. Mine classes working on your own stuff as gross misconduct.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I actually did replace my groupset in the bike shed at work, but that's because I knew that as soon as I got home I would have a baby and a knackered wife to look after so it was my only opportunity.

What's the nature of your work, @fatblokish ? Do you actually have a workshop there? Are your colleagues really going to be truing wheels and the like?

jay clock

Massive member
Stick to the basics for emergencies. I would be astonished if more than one in twenty would be capable of using a wheel jig anyway. And even in the most honest laid back place things will go missing so prepare for that

Does anybody know for sure if OPs employer intends to deal with cyclists as customers? Like if his employer is expanding into the cycle trade?
If his employer isnt involved in cycle repairs in anyway (like working for Tesco or Amazon) then I cant see the use for a cycle workshop for reasons already mentioned. I do like the idea tho.

Top Bottom