recommend me some hybrid bikes please? under £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rasseru

New here, hi everyone!

I had my team marin stolen and need a new bike.. it was given to me and i havent done any research on bikes for years, so i have no idea about companies/tech and whats good and what isnt..

i really want a new hybrid, i dont like racer handlebars, or v-brakes, or suspension, and looks are somewhat important... also im not totally well versed in maintenance, ive heard some disc brakes can be fiddly to set-up.

im also short (160cm) and live in a flat so weight is important - the lighter the better!

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes <they do credit, which im going to have to do, but there are hundreds of bikes there!

can anyone give me any advice or a couple of bikes to compare? they are having a deal on BMC at the moment - the urbanchallenge is £650, for example

MikeW-71

Veteran
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.rapid.1/14978/66550/#specifications
There is one.

Other possibilities are Specialized Sirrus and Cannondale Quick

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

the sirrus carbon is gorgeous.. but im already worried about it being stolen, its got 'nick me' written all over it, and out of price range :/

checking out the others now, but drooling over the sirrus

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Yep, second Vickster on the Whyte hybrids, they are fast and rather more exotic looking than your standard fare, I'm about to take delivery of the Montpellier which is carbon framed but for under £1000 I'd definitly look at the Stirling which has much the same spec on an ali frame with carbon fork.

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

its the stirling im looking at - going to see if theres somewhere close-by i can try it out :]

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte list dealers on their website. Where do you live?

I am not sure of the real world benefits of the Stirling over the Cambridge. You can find the latter for £600 if happy with an older model, they've not changed much if anything other than the colour since 2011

In terms of theft, use two top notch d locks or one d lock and a heavy chain. You need a special key to get wheels off the whyte hybrids which helps with security. Make sure the bike is marked and also properly insured!

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

i just remember my bike before the marin, they cut the railings instead of the lock, and it wasnt even a good bike! ive got a kryptonite new york d-lock ready - and yeah i will insure this one against theft, and look into chains

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

Are there any cons with the Stirling? I dont race or anything..

Had a look in town but it was all treks/dawes/specialized and not that many I fancied .. apart from the bmc alpenchallenge which seem a bit.. dunno.. racy for my needs, like basic but fast?

vickster

Legendary Member
Where do you live?

Review of Stirling , certainly not a racing bike, but a fast urban weapon.

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/...ybrid/product/review-whyte-stirling-13-46925/

I have the Cambridge, great bike. Couldn't see the benefit of the Stirling, and it's a dull grey colour!

What are you actually wanting from the bike? A grand on a hybrid is going to get you something top end so it will be fast as it's the same market as road bikes not your average commuter. I think carbon forks are indispensable in a city on rubbish roads, disc brakes good if riding in the rain or muck, other than that, whatever floats your boat

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

what floats my boat?, ah, a fast, light bike with good balance & control. disc brakes a must - im not tall & its lots of short hops about town - so comfort & no racing positioning! dunno i was just thinking out aloud and enjoying talking about it, and really do want a step-up from the bikes i used to ride. - the money is on loan so the way i see it, its x amount a week im going to save having to get the bus everywhere which is doing my nut in!

im going to try it - and there isnt much difference in the stirling/cambridge spec-wise, and im aware of diminishing returns (got a modestly expensive hardware music studio, so it quickly goes into a few extra grand for that extra % of sonics, which i cant justify) - thanks for that advice, i will shop around and not buy the first shiniest thing i see (or dulliest)

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

medium frame for 5'7 is just a bit too big - i need the small frame size for 5'2! its a really good price as well :sad:

OP
OP
rasseru

rasseru

Heh nah I'm a dude..

Whyte won't supply my local bike shop with a small demo model:angry: so I've got no idea what to do - it's quite long as well, no? I'm thinking arm reach & general comfort..

I've got 71 inside leg about

I'd rather go to an independent, but evans have a bigger selection... A bit annoying on whytes part really

Also can you fit mud guards or are they a pain? I've seen threads saying it's a pain...

Hmmm what to do

Top Bottom