Recommend me tyres...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im looking for road biased tyres that can handle a bit of gravel and dirt. Sizes are 700*35c. Currently using Schwalbe smart sam's which seem OK, however they are apparently have terrible grip on wet tarmac which is kind of off putting.
Main priorities are puncture resistance followed closely by rolling resistance. But none of these are relevant on tyres that dont grip at least reasonably for a wet road.

mustang1

Guru
I use schwalbe marathon supreme 35mm. Great on road though I'd prefer a little less resistance. Having said that once you get rolling they are pretty decent.

Have taken them off road too, grass, trails, gravel tracks. Theyve been fine there too but are not good in mud or loose gravel when it's wet. But I have an MTB for that....

Can't remember how much they were but I recall they weren't at the cheaper end. If I can't find suitable replacements then I might get another set when these wear out but so far they are wearing real well so I have some time to go before replacements are due. I have about 3000-4000 miles on them and I see no evidence of needing a change within the next year at least.

howard2107

I have Schwalbe landcruiser, and do a lot of on and off road stuff, wet trails, loose gravel, mud, stones etc, and no problems to speak of, they do struggle in thick mud, but then they are not intended to go there, but overall a very good tyre, hardwearing and no punctures this year. They are around £20 a pair for your size (same as mine).

Tojo

Über Member
A mate of mine swears by Continental Cyclocross Speed Folding CX Tyres on his TCX which he uses on the road quite a lot and a bit gravel tracks.....:cuppa:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I have Schwalbe landcruiser, and do a lot of on and off road stuff, wet trails, loose gravel, mud, stones etc, and no problems to speak of, they do struggle in thick mud, but then they are not intended to go there, but overall a very good tyre, hardwearing and no punctures this year. They are around £20 a pair for your size (same as mine).
I second these..
I run the 40s and go almost everywhere on them...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Main priorities are puncture resistance followed closely by rolling resistance. But none of these are relevant on tyres that dont grip at least reasonably for a wet road.
Schwalbe Delta Cruiser if primary concern is tarmac and dirt really is "a bit". I've kept bikes upright on Delta Cruisers that I had no right to but I wouldn't fancy prolonged dirt use.

Otherwise, I'd be looking towards Land Cruisers, but I've only got recent experience of Continental Twisters (not sure if they're discontinued) and Michelin Tracker which both seem fine.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I run these and they grip like a barnacle on wet roads, gritty roads and gravel trails.

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/schwalbe-marathon-deluxe-tyre/aid:643281

Tojo

Über Member
@Tojo

Have you got a link please - I can't find those on the site.

Seems like an amazingly low price - they are usually £40-50 in the UK.

I'll stock up now if they are that cheap.

Sorry, I put in a google search for Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tyre and it came up some thing different but didn't notice at the time.....:surrender:

I'm running Schwalbe Tyragos at the moment and I have to say they have done me OK on road and metalled track - and at sub-£14 each they are dirt cheap.

Tread wears a bit but they are probably better once the running surface is smoother. They feel stable on corners in the wet.

Top Bottom