Recommend Trail Shoes / Off Road Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have a budget of £70 or LESS for a pair of Trail shoes aka off road trainers.

Purely for light cross training and a quick run when I’m without my bike or smart trainer. Not interested in pavement bashing although I accept I wil need to run on some Tarmac to get to a Trail.

Websites and shops? Size 41 ish.

Not black!

Thanks for the help.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Inov8 have always done me well. My fell runners are black, but they do a range of Roclites in colours. You might get them for your budget if you shop around....I choose them for their low weight, which does mean they’re less robust uppers than other choices.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've got a pair of Puma something-or-others which I really like, but I bought them because they were the pair in the shop which fit my feet best. So I think you need to go and try a few. The shop was I think the horrifically titled SweatShop, they don't let you try the trail shoes on the treadmill though. Something about the grips damaging the belt.

Wife, who's more of a runner than I am, prefers Saucony.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks for the advice.

The Saucony Peregrines would have been a nice trainer, but sadly nothing in my size. I liked a pair of Inov8 (talon?) but they were out of my price range. Merrells dug into my heel. My oldest daughter won’t let me even look at Puma because that’s ‘her brand’. I had Puma tennis shoes in the 80s I’ll have you know. Rotten kids. Salomon has some impressive and affordable trainers and worth keeping in mind.

In the end I went for some Hoka One One Challenger 3 ATR (get your word count on that one!) I even had some change left over from my budget to buy some pick and mix.

https://www.ultramarathonrunningsto...il-Running-Shoes-p/hokachallengeratrthree.htm

Next step is to slowly start chipping away at some easy local trails. Fitness isn’t so much of a problem, but rather my soft tissue needs a reintroduction back into running. And I have an old rugby injury in my left knee that always needs management.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom