Recommendation for replacement of DRC ST16 in wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've had a commuting/ touring wheelset for 10 years now, based on a lower-end Shimano dynamo hub at the front, with a Formula hub running an 8-speed cassette, and Italian-made DRC ST16 rims.

This combination has been excellent & reliable. The wear tracks in the rims show that replacement will be sooner rather than later (although not imminent). It looks as if DRC has discontinued the ST16 model.

I'd be grateful for recommendations for a suitable replacement to build up with the current hubs & spokes. The ST16 does not appear to be too heavy and the wheels accelerate well.

KInlin's ADHN has a claimed weight of 535g, with an internal width of 20mm & good reviews. Mavic's A319 appears to be another candidate.

Tyres are Marathon Plus 35mm and were comfortably fitted to the ST16 without levers: this would be an important consideration for future wheels.

Thanks

si_c

Guru
A quick google found me some information on the rims you mention, which are apparently an ERD of 610mm (the inner diameter to the spoke bed), which means if you want to re-use your spokes then you need to match that, the Kinlin rims you mention have an ERD of 605, and the Mavic 607 (although I can't be certain about this last).

A possible set of replacements would be Mavic Open Sports, or Rigida/Ryde Chrina rims, both of which are good rims with a decent reputation, but it is worth checking the ERD of both the ST16 and the replacement if possible. You don't mention spoke count in your post, so this is a consideration too as that will impact rim choice if you have an uncommon spoke count (36 or 40 spokes for example are less frequently used now despite allowing for a stronger wheel).

vickster

Legendary Member
I can recommend Mavic Open Pro - used on my touring bike for years
They are now very hard to get hold of, I had to replace a rim last year (a 36h silver), I did manage to finally find one in stock in an LBS in London, cost £50 or thereabouts! There was the odd black one available

iluvmybike

Über Member
They are now very hard to get hold of, I had to replace a rim last year (a 36h silver), I did manage to finally find one in stock in an LBS in London, cost £50 or thereabouts! There was the odd black one available
Yes they are a little harder to get hold of - Wiggle and Condor Cycles currently have some but I got mine from St. Johns StreetCycles - last ones bought just last year when hubby wrecked one of his wheels on a bad pothole and neded re-rimming

Top Bottom