Recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E1970

Hello.

Only just joined your forum looking for advice re a folding bike.

I would like to get back into cycling and realised that a folding bike would be ideal. It would only be used for leisure not commuting. I want something fairly lightweight to get into the car.

My budget max would be £400. I've had a good look at used and see that Dahon are popular. I'm wondering whether a used Dahon or the like would be better than say a Carrera Intercity.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hello and :welcome:

Looking at the Carrera, I'd guess it was actually built by Dahon or Tern (the two are related).
The Tilt range of folders from Decathlon are also worth a look if you have a branch nearby.

OP
OP
E

E1970

Hello and :welcome:

Looking at the Carrera, I'd guess it was actually built by Dahon or Tern (the two are related).
The Tilt range of folders from Decathlon are also worth a look if you have a branch nearby.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I know nothing about the quality of the components of bikes other than Shimano gears seem to be good. Does the spec of the Carrera bike look ok? I will look at the Tilt range also.

gpx001

Über Member
Your budget should get you a decent folder, such as the Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, etc. The Dawes is a rebadged Dahon and the Bickerton a rebadged Tern (I think). There are lots of other rebadged Dahons around too.

My first folder was a Kingpin and it has proved bomb proof. I've used it the length and breadth of the country, on road, cycle tracks, bridal ways, green lanes, tow paths.

If you haven't already done so do try a couple out to get a feel for the riding position and weight.

Above all enjoy your cycling

Salar

A fish out of water
I've a Dawes Jack,not quite as high a spec as the Kingpin, as said above regarding the Kingpin a rebadged Dahon I think.

Had it for a few years, no problems and I'm 18 stone.

Only paid £100 or so for it at Cash Generators in as new condition.

Brand X

A few years ago I bought a Ridgeback Envoy secondhand on Ebay. It's actually (another) rebadged Dahon, but much cheaper. I don't know if the Dahon version is better equipped, but for what I needed the Ridgeback version was fine,

Top Bottom