Recommendations for a tall / short couple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irish_admiral

Hoping the forum wisdom can help me here - and please do redirect me if this question has already been asked.

My wife and I are both road cyclists. I’m about 6’1” and she’s a full foot shorter than me (with shorter than average legs). I ride a 59cm Spec. Roubaix, but she’s got the smallest possible Cannondale we could find. We occasionally head out together but as I’m a bit speedier than her, we’re looking at getting a road tandem for local rides - nothing too adventurous - once the kids can be left on their own.

Any recommations for good makes and models accommodating a little & large combo?

TIA…

Fastpedaller

To answer the title subject........ A step! :okay:

I have never understood why the woman always seems to be shorter (which is normal) but ride on the back

where she can only she the man's back most of the time (a shorter lady might have a worse view!)

Surely it would make sense for the more powerful (again - normally) and taller man to be at the back where he can see over the woman??

Of course - I have heard from some of the few tandem riders I have met that there 'might' be a suspicion that she might not pedal as much as she might give the impression that she does
but that is just a rumour!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve a tandem - a very lovely Chris Shrubb - which might suit your needs. Touring wheels, loads of spares, very well kept.
Might sell if it would fit you. Message me for a phone chat if some classic steel would be your thing.

OP
OP
irish_admiral

irish_admiral

I have never understood why the woman always seems to be shorter (which is normal) but ride on the back

where she can only she the man's back most of the time (a shorter lady might have a worse view!)

Surely it would make sense for the more powerful (again - normally) and taller man to be at the back where he can see over the woman??

Of course - I have heard from some of the few tandem riders I have met that there 'might' be a suspicion that she might not pedal as much as she might give the impression that she does

The answer in this case is it means I get to steer and she gets a windbreak! I’m sure my bottom is particularly attractive also…

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

One answer to that question is a Hase Pino

1680440467968.png

Sallar55

Veteran
Cannondale used to do the Mountain version (26) in sizes for tall and short . Low standover for dirt roads. Here is a pic of ours ,been neglected in the shed for the last 5 years. They come up on ebay , almost bought one with a smaller rear seat tube. 6'3 and 5'4 fits us nicely.

photos - 1.jpg

Last edited:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I used to be one half of a tall/short couple, and we hit this problem until we had a go with Anton Viegers' Janus tandem on a long weekend back in 2011. It was fun, but not quite right for us - but neither was a conventional tandem. Our sizes were too disparate, and Clare wouldn't see anything but my back.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/slideshow/?o=3d2&doc_id=9815&page=11&v=3I

We next tried a Hase Pino borrowed from the excellent JD Tandems for the day, and we were sold (although not on a new one; we couldn't possibly afford it).

This gave Clare a comfy seat on the front; she could see where we were going! She could even knit, read aloud or just look at a map while we were rolling, and with our heads close together, conversation, even on busy roads, became once again possible.

It was a real solution for us, and I recommend it despite the unconventionality. The design is also great for touring as you can put monster panniers on the underseat rack as well as loading up the rear one. (Luggage capacity for camping-touring can be a problem when two people's stuff has to go on a regular tandem).

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/slideshow/?o=3d2&doc_id=11133&page=33&v=93
Since those days, I've tried riding the Pino with other stokers, and learned why tandems are always set up for the captain to be the bigger rider. Balancing and steering - which is, after all, mostly adjusting balance - are mainly done by the captain, and it's much, much harder if your stoker is significantly heavier than you are!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I first encountered a Hase Pino on a night ride. When it pulled alongside me in the dark I couldn't work out what the hell was going on. What are those legs doing there? It was most discombobulating.

Top Bottom