Recommendations for mini tour in Brittany

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
I'm about to book one of Brittany Ferries deals. Plymouth to Roscoff or St Malo with the bike for five days for not much money. I'll be going in April hopefully.

I'd like to cycle about 60km per day, and will stay in hotels, b and bs or airbnbs. My arthritis rules out camping.

I like pootling along through nice countryside, small towns and the along the coast.

Anything I should see or avoid?
 

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
 
Would your deal allow you to start from Roscoff and end at St-Malo (or vice versa) - or will you have to use the same port for entry and exit?

One fairly obvious route would be to follow EV1 south from Roscoff - via Morlaix, Carhaix, Guerlédan, Pontivy and Josselin. The V3 Voie Verte (which I'm on most days of the year) would lead you from south of Ploërmel back up to Dinan and St-Malo. Or you could make a bigger loop by staying on the EV1 to Redon then heading north via Rennes back to St-Malo.

If you want to do a coastal route instead, you could follow la Littorale from one port to the other. But it doesn't really follow the coast - it shadows it inland - and it is pretty lumpy in places.

I particularly like cycling the Nantes-to-Brest canal (Guerlédan to Josselin - or Redon - above) but you'll need a bike with 32mm (or more) tyres. Plenty of small country towns to explore along the way.

It can be windy here in April but probably not very wet (we've had minimal rain here for the last 4 months).

When you have a more defined route, I can probably help with detail.
 
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
Would your deal allow you to start from Roscoff and end at St-Malo (or vice versa) - or will you have to use the same port for entry and exit?

One fairly obvious route would be to follow EV1 south from Roscoff - via Morlaix, Carhaix, Guerlédan, Pontivy and Josselin. The V3 Voie Verte (which I'm on most days of the year) would lead you from south of Ploërmel back up to Dinan and St-Malo. Or you could make a bigger loop by staying on the EV1 to Redon then heading north via Rennes back to St-Malo.

If you want to do a coastal route instead, you could follow la Littorale from one port to the other. But it doesn't really follow the coast - it shadows it inland - and it is pretty lumpy in places.

I particularly like cycling the Nantes-to-Brest canal (Guerlédan to Josselin - or Redon - above) but you'll need a bike with 32mm (or more) tyres. Plenty of small country towns to explore along the way.

It can be windy here in April but probably not very wet (we've had minimal rain here for the last 4 months).

When you have a more defined route, I can probably help with detail.

Thanks for that @bluenotebob

Unfortunately the deal is to use the same port on arrival and departure. I may just pay the extra and travel from Roscoff to St Malo, as you suggest. That appeals to me. That way I could extend my tour from the five days of the offer to seven or eight, which also appeals.
 
Top Bottom