Recommendations for Very Overweight Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've taken a liking to the Avocado over the last few years. I buy the "wonky" ones from Morrissons at £2.40 for six or so.

I ripen them at home and have them mashed with a bit of grated cheddar on wholemeal toast along with a couple of sliced tomatoes.

Beats the hell out of a bowl of Cornflakes for breakfast any day.

Strange how your tastes change when you alter your diet in a major way. Things I used to hate or was indifferent to:

Broccoli
Avocado
Courgettes
Celery
Spinach

are now my favourites. Also strange - when you have a huge plate of vegetables and a little meat or fish, you enjoy the meat or fish more, not less.

Lovacott

Über Member
Strange how your tastes change when you alter your diet in a major way.

I do a "Sea Shepherds Pie" once a week as a replacement for a traditional Shepherds or Cottage Pie.

Two tins of Pilchards in Tomato sauce topped with a layer of diced carrots, peas and skin on mashed spuds. Pop in the oven for 45 minutes at 150c and you have an instant family favourite.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I do a "Sea Shepherds Pie" once a week as a replacement for a traditional Shepherds or Cottage Pie.

Two tins of Pilchards in Tomato sauce topped with a layer of diced carrots, peas and skin on mashed spuds. Pop in the oven for 45 minutes at 150c and you have an instant family favourite.

Sounds delicious. Substitute mashed spuds with mashed butternut squash or sweet potato for a low-carb version. Will give this a go.

Lovacott

Über Member
Sounds delicious. Substitute mashed spuds with mashed butternut squash or sweet potato for a low-carb version. Will give this a go.
I add in a sprinkle of chilli to the fish and the layer of mashed spud is very thin as it sits on a layer of diced carrot. Leaving the skins on the spuds increases the fibre content of the dish.

Pilchards are great because they contain huge amounts of protein, omega 3, vitamin D and calcium.

bobdaspider

Regular
I want to buy a bicycle to try and lose weight. Problem is I'm very overweight (25 stones).

I am looking at riding on roads so I do not think a mountain bike is suitable. Problem is all the entry level road bikes I've looked at have a weight limit of around 250 pounds.

Can you please make some suggestions?

IMHO perhaps approach your goal as a medium to long term objective, in which cycling is but one part. In other words, in addition to exercise - i.e. cycling, also consider diet - eating this instead of that or cutting down on this etc. When it comes to cycling - i.e. exercise, others have suggested a mountain bike - which sounds like good advice. But in addition to cycling, I'd look at trying other forms of exercise such as walking. Once you get into a routine that includes riding the bike, you have the option of either riding more often or increasing the ride distance. Doing this, together with say some regular walking and a greater awareness of diet will help to get you fitter and lose weight - and once you see your weight coming down, it will give you even more resolve to continue with the exercise and good dietary habits. Good luck.

Seevio

Guru
IMHO perhaps approach your goal as a medium to long term objective, in which cycling is but one part. In other words, in addition to exercise - i.e. cycling, also consider diet - eating this instead of that or cutting down on this etc. When it comes to cycling - i.e. exercise, others have suggested a mountain bike - which sounds like good advice. But in addition to cycling, I'd look at trying other forms of exercise such as walking. Once you get into a routine that includes riding the bike, you have the option of either riding more often or increasing the ride distance. Doing this, together with say some regular walking and a greater awareness of diet will help to get you fitter and lose weight - and once you see your weight coming down, it will give you even more resolve to continue with the exercise and good dietary habits. Good luck.

Possibly good advice but OP hasn't been here for 3 years. Who are you talking to?

Top Bottom