Recommendations please for ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
When (most) bike manufactures give a bike weight it is akin to car manufacturers giving mpg figures, i.e pretty meaningless.
The devil is in the detail (as they say)

CXRAndy

Guru
My wife's new shopper weighs 13.9kg, ebike conversion battery 4kg, motor 3kg probably another 0.5kg for disply and cabling

~ 21kg. should be capable of 100miles of assist

kapelmuur

Veteran
Ribble have replied, they say the lightest build of their Endurance Sle with mechanical gears in a medium frame is about 11.5kgs.

No detail about the actual spec except to say that carbon wheels would be required.

I estimate the cost of this build at around £4,200.

OP
OP
L

lucklesspedestrian

A word of praise here for my local bike shop in Auchterarder Perthshire, Synergy Cycles. They seem to actively enourage you to roadtest ebikes before you even think about buying. They seem to be pushing the Haibikes with the trekking 6.0/7.0 and 9.0 seeming to be the most suitable for my needs. Bloomin' heavy though at around 23 kgs!

I'll need to do more research into all the suggestions and advice given on this thread, thanks again!

Southernguns

It would be purely for leisure (no commuting as I was lucky enough to retire at 55) and mainly roads or occasional gravel/sandy trails so no need for heavy suspension. The plan would be that I would only switch the power on for significant hills/headwinds but would want to cycle normally as much as possible. I would also ideally like it to look as much like a 'normal' bike as possible if that makes any sense.

Sorry for coming late to the party! I have the Orbea Gain D30. I looked at the Ribble but could not test ride one, nor could I actually get one as they seem to be permanently out of stock. I wanted a bike for gravel and road riding and the Orbea Gain certainly does both with ease (although you could argue it is not really a true gravel bike). It has been over some pretty rough gravel (and fields) and up some 20% incline gravel and road hills over the past 2 months of ownership. I still have to work a bit up the hills, but would never have got up them without the assistance. It is perfect for me as I am not looking for a bike to do all the work for me, rather something to give a bit of assistance, which sounds like what just what you are after.

With regards weight my Orbea Gain D30, with bottle and cage, mobile phone, 33mm all terrain tyres and tubes, garmin cadence sensor and Mio gps weighs in around the 15kg mark. I figure I could lose a few kilo in body weight before even starting to worry about the weight of the bike!

The only annoying thing is that because it is a hub motor I cannot have 2 sets of wheels with different tyres to swap out- 1 for the road and 1 for gravel. Because of this I ride 33mm all terrain tyres as a bit of a compromise. They seem okay on both road and gravel.

Last edited:

Zeek48

Remember the weights given by any manufacturer will be approximate and not include pedals, saddle bags with tools and tubes. Frankly, withe E-assist you will not notice the difference. Or if the extra weight concerns you, do what I did... Lose 5lbs and then it's all the same as you had.

Top Bottom