Record (vinyl) turntable. I'm needing your advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very funny for a comedy sketch but the thought that any HiFi shop would behave like that is stupidn, the salesmen a (and Women) were paid on commission (when the shops existed) and I've always found them very helpful as most are enthusiasts themselves.
You reckon that people selling things in shops don't do things like that? Here's what I posted the last time that NTNOCN sketch appeared...

I got the exact bike shop equivalent of that when I got back into cycling 30 years ago.

ColinJ: Hello, I'd like to buy some cycling gloves please

Bike shop owner: Feel the cold, do we?

ColinJ: Eh?

Owner: You said that you wanted 'gloves'...

ColinJ: Yes - to protect my hands if I fall off, help prevent blisters on long rides, used to wipe off sweat and so on.

Owner: And you want 'gloves' in the summer?

ColinJ: Er, yes...

Owner: Long fingered?

ColinJ: No, as you said - it's the summer - short-fingered gloves.

Owner: Oh - MITTS - you don't want gloves, you want mitts - track mitts - why didn't you say so!

ColinJ (under breath, to self): You total effing w****r!!! If I hadn't just travelled 2 miles in my lunch break to buy the bloody mitts, I'd walk out without buying them, and never return!

ColinJ (with forced smile, and clipped voice): Yes, please, I'd like to buy a pair of track mitts...

:angry:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You reckon that people selling things in shops don't do things like that? Here's what I posted the last time that NTNOCN sketch appeared...

Mitts to me would be short for mittens which would be a different thing entirely.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Indeed. As important as turntables, speakers and amps are to the sound, it's the cartridge + needle that's the crux of any system. I always liken it to the lens on a camera - your shutter speeds can be more or less accurate, your metering so so, but it's your lens quality that actually defines how good a result you can get.
Very true, but unfortunately that’s when all the goobledegook kicks in. Do you want moving coil or moving magnet, should you buy Ortofon Shure or something else ? :wacko: But it’s meat and potato to the Hi if nuts.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Very true, but unfortunately that’s when all the goobledegook kicks in. Do you want moving coil or moving magnet, should you buy Ortofon Shure or something else ? :wacko: But it’s meat and potato to the Hi if nuts.

Rather like any other knowledge it stops being goobledegook when you start learning and stop delighting in your own ignorance.

GuyBoden

Guru
Digital recording studio equipment has improved immensely over the years, the bit rate has moved from the early 16bit to 64bit. This has improved the sound enormously, even compared to the best old style analogue studio tape.

Nearly all new recordings released on vinyl are rendered using music recorded using digital equipment, I doubt if any new recordings on vinyl sound better than a 64bit or even a 32bit uncompressed sound file.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the dreadful standard CD quality or over compressed sound files, in my opinion a decent hi resolution sound file will have more clarity and dynamics than the vinyl equivalent.

If you have listened to a decent studio quality 32bit or 64bit sound file, you will know the difference I'm hearing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Digital recording studio equipment has improved immensely over the years, the bit rate has moved from the early 16bit to 64bit. This has improved the sound enormously, even compared to the best old style analogue studio tape.

Nearly all new recordings released on vinyl are rendered using music recorded using digital equipment, I doubt if any new recordings on vinyl sound better than a 64bit or even a 32bit uncompressed sound file.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the dreadful standard CD quality or over compressed sound files, in my opinion a decent hi resolution sound file will have more clarity and dynamics than the vinyl equivalent.

If you have listened to a decent studio quality 32bit or 64bit sound file, you will know the difference I'm hearing.
Yebbut that is still using PCM recordings, DSD is far better

View: https://youtu.be/QuCh_AMNvic

You may know DSD better as SACD

View: https://youtu.be/IzEiu1WRA9o

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

So long as it comes in a nicely designed 12" sleeve, I don't care much for the bitrate.

Top Bottom